From: Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
Date: 07 Dec 1999 23:29:15 -0600	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Jake" == Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

Jake> So what's the bottom line then?  Where did they end up?  I see from
Jake> my message log that 31 new groups arrived yesterday and 500+ new
Jake> groups (!)  arrived today.  I _know_ that they are not all slashdot!
Jake> So how can I find them?  And how do I make sure they don't disappear
Jake> next time?

If you have set up any Topics with subscribe parameters, then groups
matching parameter X will end up in group X.  All of the other groups are
supposed to end up subscribed under the "Gnus" top-level topic.  If this
isn't happening, then something is amiss.

JV> The slashdot.all.SCORE has fun things like increasing score for
JV> Interersting, Funny, Insightful, Informative.  And decrease score on
JV> Redundant, Flamebait and Offtopic.

Jake> I'd love to see how you are using SCORE files.  I think this is something
Jake> I'd love to start to use but am not certain how/where to begin.

Have you looked in the manual?  There should be some useful examples
there.  But for the sake of fun, this is what I set up for Slashdot:

In the topic parameters for my Slashdot topic:
((score-file . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
 (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

The score-file will be in the gnus-kill-files-directory.  I created it with
these settings.  Hopefully, this example and the manual will make the
format clear.  You might also want to understand how to take advantage of
the 'all' SCORE file name syntax to get hierarchical scoring.  An all.SCORE
file should apply to every group you enter.
(("subject"
  ("Insightful" 200 nil s)
  ("Interesting" 100 nil s)
  ("Informative" 100 nil s)