* RFC2369 - Mailing list & gnus
@ 2000-03-15 13:11 Julien Gilles
From: Julien Gilles @ 2000-03-15 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

some weeks ago someone mentionned the RFC 2369, about "The Use of URLs
as Meta-Syntax for Core Mail List Commands and their Transport through
Message Header Fields". wow.

In fact I didn't implemented the solution through message header
fields, cause : I don't know exactly how to do that, and I never seen
mailing list with such header fields.

But I wrote a small minor mode providing mailing list commands based
on the syntax described in the RFC

Just define list-help, list-subscribe, etc... variable in a group, and
command are then available :

eg, my group parameters for nnml:ding :

((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
 (to-list . "ding@gnus.org")
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 20)
 (admin-address . "ding-request@gnus.org")
 (list-help "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=help>")
 (list-subscribe "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=subscribe>"))

here is the file :

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-ml.el --]

Some questions/open points :

- Is it possible to start gnus-mailing-list-mode only for some group
  (not in gnus-group-mode-hook) ?

- list-xxx variable are defined in the set of local variables. Is it
  possible to have them like others group parameters ? (and how to use
  them then ?)

- the parser of the mailto syntaxe is very very simple, and don't
  include http or ftp commands. Feel free to improve...

All remarks and/or corrections are welcome... :-)

--
Julien Gilles.

From: Julien Gilles @ 2000-03-15 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Julien Gilles <julien.gilles@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:
> eg, my group parameters for nnml:ding :

[...]

>  (list-help "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=help>")
>  (list-subscribe "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=subscribe>"))

well, of course, for ding server this values are better :

 (list-help "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?body=help>")
 (list-subscribe "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?body=subscribe>"))

--
Julien Gilles.

@ 2000-03-22 18:25 ` Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2000-03-22 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

* 2000-03-15 Julien Gilles <julien.gilles@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr>

| some weeks ago someone mentionned the RFC 2369, about "The Use of URLs
| as Meta-Syntax for Core Mail List Commands and their Transport through
| Message Header Fields". wow.
|
| eg, my group parameters for nnml:ding :
|
| ((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
|  (to-list . "ding@gnus.org")
|  (total-expire . t)
|  (expiry-wait . 20)
|  (admin-address . "ding-request@gnus.org")
|  (list-help "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=help>")
|  (list-subscribe "<mailto:ding-request@gnus.org?subject=subscribe>"))
|
| here is the file :
|

| Some questions/open points :
|
| - Is it possible to start gnus-mailing-list-mode only for some group
|   (not in gnus-group-mode-hook) ?

Thanks for the code, I suggest that you automatically hook it to the Gnus
when loaded by adding a function to gnus-summary-mode-hook. Something
like this. User has to indicate a mailing list buffer by adding 'to-list
group parameter in it.

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'turn-on-gnus-mailing-list-mode)

(defun turn-on-gnus-mailing-list-mode ()
   (when (gnus-group-get-parameter group 'to-list)
      (gnus-mailing-list-mode 1)))