* nnimap EXPUNGE problem
@ 2000-04-12 14:21 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2000-04-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have (expiry-wait . immediate) for my imap INBOX and I have
(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'always) in my .gnus (I am using Gnus v5.8.3)

When I mark a message for Expiration and leave the summary screen to
come back on the groups screen, I expect to see an EXPUNGE command in
the imap-log, but that is not the case. Apparently nnimap stores the
deleted flag (as it does for my other imap folders), but rather than
giving an expunge command, it just does an 'examine "INBOX"':

35 UID STORE 1516 +FLAGS (\Deleted)
* 23 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen \Deleted) UID 1516)
35 OK UID STORE completed
36 EXAMINE "INBOX"
* 32 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 945544378] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 1526] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (gnus-expire \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Permanent flags
36 OK [READ-ONLY] EXAMINE completed
37 CLOSE
37 OK CLOSE completed

In other folders, nnimap behaves as expected: it stores the deleted
flag, issues an expunge command and closes the folder (without doing
an examine as is the case with the INBOX):

20 UID STORE 6722 +FLAGS (\Deleted)
* 2 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen \Deleted) UID 6722)
20 OK UID STORE completed
21 EXPUNGE
* 2 EXPUNGE
* 7 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
21 OK Expunged 1 messages
22 CLOSE
22 OK CLOSE completed

Both folders are at the same level (3). The only additional parameter
for the second folder is (auto-expire . t), so it gets deleted by
merely having read it.

This unfortunate INBOX behaviour has as net effect that it is rather
cumbersome to use gnus as imap mail reader: I can't delete any message
and have to fallback to pine or netscape to cleanup the messages that
have been duly marked for deletion by gnus.

By the way, I am running this on a solaris 2.6 machine, and so I am
very surprised to see the ^M characters at the end of the imap log lines.

I hope that somebody can shed some light on this problem.

Please copy me on your replies as I am not on the mailing list.

TIA, Guido.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-04-12 14:21 UTC | newest]