* September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-04-18 21:29 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes.

Get it from <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/sgnus.tar.gz> or
"ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus/".

ChangeLog since last release:

Thu Apr 18 20:10:11 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@aegir.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el (gnus-summary-show-article): Stop page breaking when
	given a prefix.

	* gnus-vis.el (gnus-summary-make-menu-bar): Removed obsolete
	functions.

	* gnus-msg.el (gnus-summary-reply): Pass on `broken-reply-to'.

	* message.el (message-reply): Allow broken reply-to.

	* gnus.el (gnus-group-jump-to-group): Refuse to treat groups that
	have control characters in them.

Thu Apr 18 18:47:16 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <lars@eyesore.no>

	* gnus-vis.el (gnus-button-url-regexp): Allow "!" in URLs.

	* gnus.el (gnus-summary-exit): Always run
	`gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook'.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-04-19  0:57 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-04-19  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

It appears to work on XEmacs -- good.

It looks like you've solved the problem of surprise in header writing
by putting them into the *mail message* buffer at message composition
time -- also good.

Would it be possible to also apply the usual header coloration
functions?  Either that or reorder the headers into some more logical
order?
What I see is:  (``Date:'' and ``Message-ID:'' are italicized)

Sender: steve@deanna.miranova.com
To: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Date: 18 Apr 1996 17:49:37 -0700
Gcc: nnfolder+archive:misc-mail

Which is rather a jumble.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-04-19  5:50   ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-04-19  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On 18 Apr 1996 17:57:03 -0700,
>> Steven L Baur(s) wrote:
s> What I see is:  (``Date:'' and ``Message-ID:'' are italicized)
s>
s> Sender: steve@deanna.miranova.com
s> To: ding@ifi.uio.no
s> Subject: Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
s> References: <w8swx3dp6fj.fsf@hler.ifi.uio.no>
s> X-Url: http://www.miranova.com/%7Esteve/
s> Mail-Copies-To: never
s> From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
s> Date: 18 Apr 1996 17:49:37 -0700
s> In-Reply-To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen's message of 18 Apr 1996 14:29:47 -0700
s> Message-ID: <m2n34982ce.fsf@deanna.miranova.com>
s> Lines: 1
   ^^^^^^^^^?

This is slightly off-topic, but lately I've seen more and more posts
with a line count of `1' in the summary buffer. Is sgnus keying off
this header? Why is it wrong? Does sgnus not update it, or is it some
other mail agent's responsibility?

I guess I have to re-train myself to not trust it as a indication of
message content.

--
  -mb-

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-04-19 22:56   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-19 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Would it be possible to also apply the usual header coloration
> functions?

We have the `message-font-lock-keywords' variable that could be filled
out properly, I guess...  Suggestions (and patches) are welcome.

> Either that or reorder the headers into some more logical order?

That's an idea...  Perhaps there should be a `message-sort-headers'
function that could sort the headers over
`message-header-format-alist'?  Is there a simple way to do this, or
do I have to write a function to do it the hard way?

Hm.  I just wrote the damn thing.  `sort-subr' is nice.

@ 1996-04-22  4:09     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-04-22  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> Would it be possible to also apply the usual header coloration
>> functions?

Lars> We have the `message-font-lock-keywords' variable that could be filled
Lars> out properly, I guess...  Suggestions (and patches) are welcome.

O.K.  Setting font-lock-keywords is evil, but
message-font-lock-keywords works.

(setq steves-smtp-nntp-headers '("^[A-Za-z][-0-9A-Za-z]*:"))
(defun steves-article-highlight-headers ()
  "Hook for coloring news post and mail send buffers."
  (setq message-font-lock-keywords steves-smtp-nntp-headers)
  (turn-on-font-lock))
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'steves-article-highlight-headers)

Appears to do what I was doing before message.el.

>> Either that or reorder the headers into some more logical order?

Lars> That's an idea...  Perhaps there should be a `message-sort-headers'
Lars> function that could sort the headers over
Lars> `message-header-format-alist'?  Is there a simple way to do this, or
Lars> do I have to write a function to do it the hard way?

Well, what I really meant was the headers Gnus used to display, like
To:, Cc:, Subject:, References:, In-Reply-To: (in that order) at the
top.  And Gcc:, Fcc: at the bottom, with custom headers and other Gnus
supplied headers in between.

Lars> Hm.  I just wrote the damn thing.  `sort-subr' is nice.

I don't know about ``hard way''.  I like very much the kind of header
highlighting done already when reading articles.  All I'm really
interested in doing is applying the same function to a message prior
to editing.

The vital headers like Newsgroups:, To:, Cc:, and Subject: I want to
have in separate, visually standing out colors.  I'll settle for just
getting them to appear the same way they do when I'm reading an
article.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Well, what I really meant was the headers Gnus used to display, like
> To:, Cc:, Subject:, References:, In-Reply-To: (in that order) at the
> top.  And Gcc:, Fcc: at the bottom, with custom headers and other Gnus
> supplied headers in between.

Yup.  `C-c C-h' in 0.78 will sort the headers.

> Lars> Hm.  I just wrote the damn thing.  `sort-subr' is nice.
>
> I don't know about ``hard way''.  I like very much the kind of header
> highlighting done already when reading articles.  All I'm really
> interested in doing is applying the same function to a message prior
> to editing.

Yes.  The way Gnus used to sort headers in articles was rather, uhm,
nasty.  Lots of garbage strings generated.  The new
`message-sort-headers-1' function uses `sort-subr' which doesn't
generate any garbage strings, I think.

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-05-01  4:33         ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-01  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> Well, what I really meant was the headers Gnus used to display, like
>> To:, Cc:, Subject:, References:, In-Reply-To: (in that order) at the
>> top.  And Gcc:, Fcc: at the bottom, with custom headers and other Gnus
>> supplied headers in between.

Lars> Yup.  `C-c C-h' in 0.78 will sort the headers.

That's nice, I like it.  I suppose if I look hard enough, there's a
hook I can plug into to make this the default behavior.

Lars> Hm.  I just wrote the damn thing.  `sort-subr' is nice.

>> I don't know about ``hard way''.  I like very much the kind of header
>> highlighting done already when reading articles.  All I'm really
>> interested in doing is applying the same function to a message prior
>> to editing.

You've gone and done something a little different from what I was
doing, but quite acceptable.  The red for cited text makes a nice
visual contrast.  Bloody red is a strong encouragement to be concise
in quoting as well :-).

The coloring on the headers works for me.  These changes make editing
a message much easier for me.  Thanks.
--

@ 1996-05-01  5:16           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-01  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Yup.  `C-c C-h' in 0.78 will sort the headers.

Protest!  `<prefix> C-h' should give you a list of key bindings that
start with `<prefix>'.

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-05-01  6:18             ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-01  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Yup.  `C-c C-h' in 0.78 will sort the headers.

Per> Protest!  `<prefix> C-h' should give you a list of key bindings that
Per> start with `<prefix>'.

Good point.  How about C-c s instead?  I was going to suggest C-c C-s
which leads to the sorting functions in the *Summary* buffer, but that
appears to be already taken by a function I've never used before.
--

@ 1996-05-01  6:43               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-01  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> How about C-c s instead?

`C-c <letter>' is reserved for the user.

Try `C-c C-o' (for order).

SLB> I was going to suggest C-c C-s
SLB> which leads to the sorting functions in the *Summary* buffer, but that
SLB> appears to be already taken by a function I've never used before.

`C-c C-s' is broken now, but I used often in the past.  It is (should
be) like `C-c C-c' except that it doesn't (shouldn't) bury the buffer.
I used it when I wanted to send slight variations of the same message
to different people.

* message-send (C-c C-s)  (was Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released)
@ 1996-05-01 13:30                 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-05-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA> `C-c C-s' is broken now, but I used often in the past.  It is (should
PA> be) like `C-c C-c' except that it doesn't (shouldn't) bury the buffer.
PA> I used it when I wanted to send slight variations of the same message
PA> to different people.

It's not completely broken, is it?  When I do C-c C-s, the message gets
sent and a few headers get added (From, Date, Message-Id, Lines).  There is
also a buffer-local variable that gets set (message-sent-message-via) which
makes things odd if you want to re-send from the same *message* buffer.
Message tells me that the message in question has already been sent by
mail, do I want to resend?

The variable is a list of methods that have been used to send the message,
i.e. '(mail news) if it was sent with both mail and news.

--
Jack Vinson                       jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu
"I Spit on Your Grave"            -- double feature at the drive-in as seen

* Re: September Gnus 0.75 is released
@ 1996-05-02 14:12                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-02 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> SLB> How about C-c s instead?
>
> `C-c <letter>' is reserved for the user.
>
> Try `C-c C-o' (for order).

I've now moved the ordering command to that key.