* Gnus and BBDB and the looks of the summary buffer
@ 1996-04-15 19:24 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-04-15 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I don't use gnus-bbdb, but I use BBDB for composing mail.
Maybe this matters...

Is there a way to customize the full name displayed in the summary
buffer?  Let's say I want to display James Smith <js@foo.com> as
"Jack" and James Miller <jm@frob.org> as "Jim" in the name part of the
summary buffer.  How would I go about this?

tia,
kai
--
There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

* Re: Gnus and BBDB and the looks of the summary buffer
@ 1996-04-16 14:02 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-04-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> I think I don't use gnus-bbdb, but I use BBDB for composing mail.
KG> Maybe this matters...

If you run (gnus-bbdb-insinuate-summary-buffer) then you DO used
gnus-bbdb.  Otherwise the request below won't be affected by BBDB.

KG> Is there a way to customize the full name displayed in the summary
KG> buffer?  Let's say I want to display James Smith <js@foo.com> as
KG> "Jack" and James Miller <jm@frob.org> as "Jim" in the name part of the
KG> summary buffer.  How would I go about this?

I am fairly sure that BBDB displays the Name field of a BBDB record if such
a thing exists.  gnus-bbdb-insinuate-summary-buffer changes the
gnus-summary-line-format so that it can do this (and mark the people who
are known to BBDB).  If this is what you are doing, then all you need to do
is change the Name field of the corresponding BBDB entries.

Looking through the code in gnus-bbdb-summary-get-author which is the
function called when creating the summary line, the following variables are
used:
	gnus-bbdb-summary-prefer-bbdb-data
	gnus-bbdb-summary-prefer-real-names

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could create a new field, gnus-name,
that would be used instead.  However, you would have to modify
gnus-bbdb-summary-get-author so that it checked for this field first (with
bbdb-record-getprop) when setting the name that is returned.

--
   __o __o     __o     __o __o     __o  Jack Vinson
 _`\<_`\<_   _`\<_   _`\<_`\<_   _`\<_  Captain Jack - Purple Puddle Eater