* [sgnus 0.18] gnus-summary-resend-message and mail-self-blind
@ 1995-12-05 21:10 Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-12-05 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I have mail-self-blind set, so that I get a BCC: to myself.
Well, when I use gnus-summary-resend-message, it ends up with a
stripped off, since that's the whole point of _B_CC:.  I'd prefer the
first, because with certain resends, it will result in the mail also
going to my other account, but I'll settle for the second.  Any ideas?

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and

* Re: [sgnus 0.18] gnus-summary-resend-message and mail-self-blind
@ 1995-12-05 22:27 ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1995-12-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

dreschs@mpd.tandem.com (Sten Drescher) writes:

>	I have mail-self-blind set, so that I get a BCC: to myself.
>Well, when I use gnus-summary-resend-message, it ends up with a
>stripped off, since that's the whole point of _B_CC:.  I'd prefer the
>first, because with certain resends, it will result in the mail also
>going to my other account, but I'll settle for the second.  Any ideas?

The patch I sent to the list earlier today takes care of not putting

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: [sgnus 0.18] gnus-summary-resend-message and mail-self-blind
@ 1995-12-06 17:57   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-12-06 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David K}gedal) said:

dreschs@mpd.tandem.com (Sten Drescher) writes:
SD> I have mail-self-blind set, so that I get a BCC: to myself.  Well,
SD> when I use gnus-summary-resend-message, it ends up with a
SD> 2) stripped off, since that's the whole point of _B_CC:.  I'd prefer
SD> the first, because with certain resends, it will result in the mail
SD> also going to my other account, but I'll settle for the second.  Any
SD> ideas?

DK> The patch I sent to the list earlier today takes care of not putting

	Actually, we may both be taking the wrong tack at this problem.
>From RFC 822:

RFC822> 4.5.  RECEIVER FIELDS

RFC822> 4.5.1.  TO / RESENT-TO

RFC822> This field contains the identity of the primary recipients of
RFC822> the message.

RFC822> 4.5.2.  CC / RESENT-CC

RFC822> This field contains the identity of the secondary
RFC822> (informational) recipients of the message.

RFC822> 4.5.3.  BCC / RESENT-BCC

RFC822> This field contains the identity of additional recipients of the
RFC822> message.  The contents of this field are not included in copies
RFC822> of the message sent to the primary and secondary recipients.
RFC822> Some systems may choose to include the text of the "Bcc" field
RFC822> only in the author(s)'s copy, while others may also include it
RFC822> in the text sent to all those indicated in the "Bcc" list.

	Based on this, I think that Resent-BCC: is appropriate.  Now
what I'm not clear on is _what_ is responsible for handiling the
destination - does Gnus/Emacs call sendmail with explicit delivery
addresses, or does sendmail pick out the Resent- headers and use those?
Looking at the sendmail guide for v8.7, it looks like sendmail _should_
be doing the work, but may not.  Anyone more versed in SMTP
implementation reading this?

		Sten

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-08  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

dreschs@mpd.tandem.com (Sten Drescher) writes:

> Now what I'm not clear on is _what_ is responsible for handiling the
> destination - does Gnus/Emacs call sendmail with explicit delivery
> addresses, or does sendmail pick out the Resent- headers and use
> those?

Gnus calls `sendmail-send-it' which picks out the "Resent-To" header
and passes that as an explicit delivery address to sendmail.  So
sendmail doesn't sniff the headers itself.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: [sgnus 0.18] gnus-summary-resend-message and mail-self-blind
@ 1995-12-08 17:27       ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-12-08 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) said:

LMI> dreschs@mpd.tandem.com (Sten Drescher) writes:
>> Now what I'm not clear on is _what_ is responsible for handiling the
>> destination - does Gnus/Emacs call sendmail with explicit delivery
>> addresses, or does sendmail pick out the Resent- headers and use
>> those?

LMI> Gnus calls `sendmail-send-it' which picks out the "Resent-To"
LMI> header and passes that as an explicit delivery address to sendmail.
LMI> So sendmail doesn't sniff the headers itself.

	Then this is a Bad Thing.  I took a look at the sendmail 8.7.1
source, and it will recognize the Resent- headers, and operate
appropriately.  Since other mailers prolly don't, is it possible to have
a flag to disable this (Gnus telling sendmail to _not_ parse the
headers)?

--

@ 1995-12-08 20:37       ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-12-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Gnus calls `sendmail-send-it' which picks out the "Resent-To" header
LMI> and passes that as an explicit delivery address to sendmail.  So
LMI> sendmail doesn't sniff the headers itself.

This is a problem when one has mail-send-hooks defined which interact with
the user.  I am thinking of ispell-message, since I got caught with that
one.  I recommend placing a wrapper (let ((mail-send-hook nil)) ...) around
the function that calls mail-send-hooks.  For now, here is a piece of
advice that simply turns off the hook before calling the function.

(defadvice gnus-summary-resend-message (around gnus-resend-advice act comp)
  "Turn off mail-send-hooks when resending mail.
Assumes nothing extra needs to be done to the message as it goes out."
  (let ((mail-send-hook nil)
	)
    ad-do-it
    ))

The same thing goes for gnus-inews-news if one has, for example,
ispell-message in both the news-inews-hook and the mail-send-hook.  I've
got a piece of advice that fixes this too, if anyone is interested:

(defadvice gnus-inews-news (around gnus-inews-news-advice act comp)
  "Turn off ispell-message when posting news, in case there is a To: header
in the posting."
  (let ((mail-send-hook (remove 'ispell-message mail-send-hook))
	)
    ad-do-it
    ))

--
   __o __o     __o     __o __o     __o  Jack Vinson
 _`\<_`\<_   _`\<_   _`\<_`\<_   _`\<_  Captain Jack - Purple Puddle Eater