From: Chris Halverson <cdh@CompleteIS.com>
Subject: Attachments and quotes around names
Date: 19 Sep 2001 12:15:28 -0500	[thread overview]

I installed a sendmail filter today (Ray's Mail Filter FWIW) and
needed to test it. In order to do so, I needed to send an attachment
and see if it rejected it or not. The filter uses a set of regexps
such as:

name=\".*\.vbs\"

This checks the Content-Disposition header for that regexp. When I
sent a message w/ Gnus that header looks like:

Note that there are no quotes around the filename value. I, of course,
didn't notice this subtle fact for a while and banged my head on this
thing for about a half hour until I noticed it. When I send a test
message w/ Pine, it shows it as:

Mutt and Outlook do it this way too.

Now, I know that nobody using Gnus would send out anything like this,
but it just seems "odd" that Gnus doesn't put quotes around
it. Doesn't it? Should it? I've never had problems with it (as far as
I know), but it doesn't seem that it's very standard.

Anyway, just a FYI.

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
(612) 279-2106                             http://www.completeis.com/