From: torkel@acc.umu.se (Björn Torkelsson)
Subject: Re: Offline mail and group cooperation
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:34:46 +0200	[thread overview]

> grossjoh@lothlorien.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I guess that nnimap and Gnus Agent is still one of the major
>> alternatives.  I remember that I tried it a long time ago and I was
>> confused about which messages it wanted to download automatically.  I
>> guess that we want to download all messages (regardless of marks) in
>> selected groups.  Is this possible with the Agent?
>
> Right now the Agent is hard coded to never download articles marked as
> read in Gnus.  I posted a (very lightly tested) patch to fix this long
> time ago, but never committed it as it breaks backwards compatibility
> (people that want the old behaviour had to add a `read' Agent
> predicate to only download read articles, which was the old
> behaviour).
>
> What you describe is how most other disconnected clients work, so I
> think it would be nice to support it, but I'm not sure how.  Is it
> worth breaking backwards compatibility for this?  Perhaps adding a
> `unread' Agent predicate which you'd need to add to get this behaviour
> could work.

Isn't this what the cache is supposed to solve?

When I read a mail, it's entered into the cache. When I delete the
mail (either when I mark it as expirable, or when it's expired) it is
also deleted from the cache.

The only time I should have to manually download messages are when I
want to download, new, unread mail, or when I for some reason have
turned of the cache (in which case I should be able to specify which
mail to donwload)

That's at least my idea of how the agent/cache *should* work.

Pehaps it should also be an option to download new messages into the
cache when checking for new mail.

All my rant probably on apply for nnimap.

/torkel