From: Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>
Subject: Re: Splitting and procmail
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:25:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Scott A Crosby <scrosby@cs.rice.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 10:40:45 +0200, Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
[...]
>> My idea was to use mail splitting (maybe the fancy one too) and have
>> procmail do the spam filtering.
[...]
> One option is to use 'formail' within procmail to put a special header
> on what you classify as spam and have the first split-fancy rule match
> on that header and put matching emails into the spam folder.

I think I will have Spamassassin and formail mark the mails with a
X-Steverud-Procmailrc header and then split on that using (fancy?)
split and have the split take care of mailing lists etc.

I have done an analysis of my .procmailrc and found that the spam
filtering are probably the same as SA and those that are not can
easily be taken care of with a split rule or two.

Is it possible to have a split that checks the From and if a certain
regexp matches, a function is called that tests wheather the sender is a
member of BBDB and if not it is placed in "Spam", otherwise the next
rule is tested? I.e. use BBDB as a white list. (I consider all mails
from MSN, Hotmail, Yahoo etc. as Spam. Seldom fails.)

It is the middle part of the paragraph above, the test against the
BBDB, I cannot figure out.

>> I have fairly nice spam filtering in my procmail and I don't want to
>> rewrite it as splitting rules (takes too much time). I am also
>
> I'm curious.. What does your system look like? Why not rewrite it,
> piecemeal, into fancy-split-mail rules?

It takes some time to "port" it, my procmailrc is 561 lines including
blank lines and comments, but I found out that most of the spam
filters where probably covered by SA and the splitting of mailinglists
was not that hard to convert. That's why. :-)

Besides, I like to see how many mails I got from diffrent sources when
I log in (using mailstat) but I came up with a solution to that
problem too the other day. Not an issue anylonger.

I will probably do a test as soon as I got some time over in a week or two.

>> planning to start using Spamassassin (the spam.el seems interesting, I
>> really like the idea with using BBDB as a whitelist since I consider
>> all mails from MSN, Hotmail, Yahoo et al as spam) so I seems to need
>> procmail however I do.
>
> Spamassassin offers an automatic whitelist option where it looks at
> the average score for email claiming to be from a particular user and
> adjusts itself as suited.

I would like to use BBDB as a white list. I do not like to store
information in two diffrent places, they are going to get out of sync
sooner or later. It is easier to add new persons in one place - to the
BBDB, where they going to end up anyway - then in two places (even if
the SA white list is some sort of automaticly generated list). In this
case I do not want some Artificially Stupidity-generated list but a
list I control 100 % myself.

Thanks everyone that has responded.

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )