* newbie lost in his headers
@ 2002-10-07 14:58 Pierre-François Gomez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pierre-François Gomez @ 2002-10-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm new to Gnus, but am reading the list for some time now.

I post because i'd like to configure the Message buffer (the one that
shows the content of the message, if i'm right) to show me all the
headers *but* those i specify manually (ie: those that annoy me after
some time...).

Here is my experience :
i first tried showing all of them :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t) ; works fine
\--

Now i'd like to hide just the "References:" :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--

It does nothing at all, still showing me all the headers !

Then i saw something with "ignored-headers" having no effect if
"visible-headers" is set. Maybe its default isn't nil ? Trying to add
this :
/--
| (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
| (setq gnus-visible-headers nil)
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--

The "References" fields are still there ! :(

Give it a last try before asking help :
/--
| (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
\--
(that is, removing the first two lines)

I'm falling down to the default (From, Subject, To, Date, Reply-To)...

Now i'm lost :(
Need i specify each header i want visible ? Event if don't already know
of them ?
Is there no way to hide just those i specify ?

Browsing either the Manual, the FAQ or the Message manual doesn't seem
to help.

I also tried tuning things from "M-x customize" -> "gnus-article-headers"
but it didn't help much, and wrote things to ".xemacs/custom.el" while i'm
using ".gnus.el".

I feel this is something really simple but i'm learning Gnus alone, just
with the default documentation, and i just start to see some pieces of
the big Gnus puzzle fitting with some others...

Thanks for your help, and hope i gave you enough information !

ps:
Some other notes about my environment:
- "M-x version" : XEmacs 21.4 (patch 10) "Military Intelligence (RC3 Windows)"
                  [Lucid] (i586-pc-win32) of Thu Oct 03 2002 on TSUNAMI
- "M-x gnus-version" : Gnus v5.8.8
- So i use Gnus inside Xemacs "native" (not cygwin) on Win2k
- after each change in my ~/.gnus.el, i exit both Gnus and Xemacs
  ("à la windows")
- i'm using nnimap as my primary select method

--
  .''`.  Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@free.fr>
 : :' :

* Re: newbie lost in his headers
@ 2002-10-07 18:10 ` Pierre-François Gomez
From: Pierre-François Gomez @ 2002-10-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for your help, and hope i gave you enough information !

And if it were not enough, here is another piece of information.

The problem i described was for the PC i use at work (it explains why win2k).

Now i'm at home with a *real* system (Debian GNU/linux - woody stable), but
i have exactely the same behavior.

> - "M-x version" : XEmacs 21.4 (patch 10) "Military Intelligence (RC3 Windows)"
>                   [Lucid] (i586-pc-win32) of Thu Oct 03 2002 on TSUNAMI
It is now :
XEmacs 21.4 (patch 6) "Common Lisp" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux) of Sat Apr  6 2002 on eeyore

> - "M-x gnus-version" : Gnus v5.8.8
Its the same.

> - i'm using nnimap as my primary select method
the same, but agentized

thank you again.
--
          | Pierre-François Gomez <pf.gomez@free.fr>
    ,__o  |
  _-\_<,  | "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 (*)/'(*) |  insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: newbie lost in his headers
@ 2002-10-07 19:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-07 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

pf.gomez@free.fr (Pierre-François Gomez) writes:

> Now i'd like to hide just the "References:" :
> /--
> | (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
> | (setq gnus-ignored-headers "^References")
> \--
>
> It does nothing at all, still showing me all the headers !

gnus-show-all-headers means to show all headers, regardless of
gnus-ignored-headers and gnus-visible-headers.

If you set gnus-show-all-headers to nil, then gnus-ignored-headers
and gnus-visible-headers take effect.

kai

* Re: newbie lost in his headers
@ 2002-10-08  6:51 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-10-08  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

pf.gomez@free.fr (Pierre-François Gomez) writes:

> I post because i'd like to configure the Message buffer (the one that
> shows the content of the message, if i'm right)

The "Message" buffer is the buffer you write your reply, the "Article"
buffer is the one that contains the mail or article, which you
read. This message is now in a Message buffer when I write it and you
will see it in the Article buffer. The Group buffer is the one with
all the groups in and the Summary buffer is the one that contains a
list of all (un)read articles in a specific group. I.e. the "workflow"
is Group -> Summary -> Article -> (in case of reply) Message.

I assume you mean Article buffer and not Message buffer, right?

The message buffer is handled by the seperate Message package, which
is bundled and highly integrated with Gnus but is stand alone.

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )