From: Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>
Subject: C-u a in Group and scoring on own
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:38:58 +0200	[thread overview]

I use the "score on replies to my posts",
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
					 (gnus-score-followup-article 300))))
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
					 (gnus-score-followup-thread 300))))
as suggested in the manual.

I've have seen for several (?) years that sometimes the article is not
added to the SCORE file.

I did some quick debugging and some tests and found out that doing "a"
in the group (a local news test group) added the Message-ID to the
"references" part of the score file, but doing C-u a in the Group
buffer *did not*.

Both functions, gnus-group-post-news and gnus-summary-post-news calls
(gnus-post-news 'post gnus-newsgroup-name)!

I just looked in gnus-score-followup-thread and found

  (when (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
    ... rest of code

Is this the only way or is it some way of adding score even when one
haven't gone into the group? The when statement is used mostly to
easily find the score file. Maybe gnus-summary-score-entry can be
extended to take a group name too? Or a "wrapper" function? (I know
too little of the internals of Gnus to write one on my own.)

gnus-score-followup-thread is very simple and the behaviour I describe
would be "simple" to fix if gnus-summary-score-entry (or another
function that calls gnus-summary-score-entry on the correct score
file) could take a group name too.

It is most annoying since I seldom post to some groups and just looks
for the plus on the left hand side to see if someone has replied to my
post - I recently missed replies to my posts in gnus.emacs.gnus due to
this.

/Jonas, hunting down the big issues.
--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )