Hi I did some more testing and error handling on my code I posted in . It should work without problems. What it does is the following: Add a new item (%q) to gnus-summary-line-format-alist which calls gnus-user-date(date-header). gnus-user-date formats the date accordingly to gnus-user-date-day gnus-user-date-week gnus-user-date-old That means that if the message is of today you get e.g. 10:24 if not older than 7 days you Mon 12:35 and if it's older you Okt 16 gnus-user-* can hold any valid value for format-time-string. here are the patches: