* Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-04  1:52 David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-04  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

My Girlfriend like to send me webpages, like job ads etc, that she
finds using netscape and send with the send page command.

When I receive these pgnus automatically seem to try and reformat them
with w3.

I would prefer to see that there was a html attachment then launch it
with netscape manually if I feel like viewing it.

What variables should I be looking at?

On other problem with this is that if they have banner ads on the page
she sends, I think pgnus tries to look them up, which results in a
significant delay if my ppp connection is not up.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-04  8:19 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-11-04  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My Girlfriend like to send me webpages, like job ads etc, that she
> finds using netscape and send with the send page command.

> When I receive these pgnus automatically seem to try and reformat them
> with w3.

> I would prefer to see that there was a html attachment then launch it
> with netscape manually if I feel like viewing it.

I don't think so, but isn't it possible to make Netscape send the URL
instead of the HTML?  That should give you a buttonized URL in the
message in Gnus, that you can click on to open the page in Netscape.

In fact it seems like this is what Netscape does when I try "Send
Page" from the right-mouse-button menu in Netscape 4.7 on linux
(ie. send the URL and not the HTML page as an attachment).

I've clicked off for it to use the plain text editor when composing
messages in
        Edit->Preferences...->Mail & Newsgroups->Formatting

Maybe that makes a difference...?

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-04 15:21   ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-04 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
> I don't think so, but isn't it possible to make Netscape send the URL
> instead of the HTML?  That should give you a buttonized URL in the
> message in Gnus, that you can click on to open the page in Netscape.

I think that wouldn't be quite as good for two reasons.

1/      I'd have to be online while I read mail. I use a dialup
connection so thta isn't always practical.

2/      If it's a news of job type article, it's probably a cgi type
link that may not be available at a later date.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-05 10:27     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-11-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> I don't think so, but isn't it possible to make Netscape send the URL
>> instead of the HTML?  That should give you a buttonized URL in the
>> message in Gnus, that you can click on to open the page in Netscape.

> I think that wouldn't be quite as good for two reasons.

> 1/      I'd have to be online while I read mail. I use a dialup
> connection so thta isn't always practical.

> 2/      If it's a news of job type article, it's probably a cgi type
> link that may not be available at a later date.

OK.  In any case I'm changing my first statement.

I think this is entirely possible to do in pgnus.  The contents of any
message part can be shuttled to an external program.

It's just that I don't know how to do this.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-05 11:20       ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-05 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
> OK.  In any case I'm changing my first statement.
> I think this is entirely possible to do in pgnus.  The contents of any
> message part can be shuttled to an external program.
> It's just that I don't know how to do this.

Doesn't that pretty much sum up both emacs and gnus :)

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-07  1:19 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:

> I would prefer to see that there was a html attachment then launch it
> with netscape manually if I feel like viewing it.

I think this would require saving the HTML to a file and then pointing
Netscape at that file.  I don't think there's any way to, er, pipe
buffer contents into a running Netscape to get it to display it.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-07 13:16   ` Kai Großjohann
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think this would require saving the HTML to a file and then pointing
> Netscape at that file.  I don't think there's any way to, er, pipe
> buffer contents into a running Netscape to get it to display it.

Isn't this already possible by buttonizing the message and then
viewing the part externally?  The only part that's missing is to
automatically buttonize html parts and to turn off the automatic
inline display with W3.

I think.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-07 15:17     ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Isn't this already possible by buttonizing the message and then
> viewing the part externally?  The only part that's missing is to
> automatically buttonize html parts and to turn off the automatic
> inline display with W3.

If you say so Kai, then I believe it.
But til then I think I'm stuck with inline w3, which I like less than
plain text.

From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 1999-11-07 16:30       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-07 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:

> If you say so Kai, then I believe it.
> But til then I think I'm stuck with inline w3, which I like less than
> plain text.

Hm.  Does it help to add an entry in mm-inline-media-tests which tells
Gnus not to display text/html inline?

Hm.

(add-to-list 'mm-inline-media-tests
             '("text/html" mm-inline-text ignore))

What happens when you do that?

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I think this would require saving the HTML to a file and then pointing
> > Netscape at that file.  I don't think there's any way to, er, pipe
> > buffer contents into a running Netscape to get it to display it.
>
> Isn't this already possible by buttonizing the message and then
> viewing the part externally?

Yes, but what external HTML viewer is able to read from a pipe?  So
the viewer function has to write the HTML to a file and then point
Netscape at that file...

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-07 21:18       ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 1999-11-07 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

  lmi> Yes, but what external HTML viewer is able to read from a pipe?
  lmi> So the viewer function has to write the HTML to a file and then
  lmi> point Netscape at that file...

on modern Unix you can do things like

   cat ~/public_html/index.html | lynx -force_html /dev/fd/0

--
Eric Marsden

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08  0:11         ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-08  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  Does it help to add an entry in mm-inline-media-tests which tells
> Gnus not to display text/html inline?
>
> Hm.
>
> (add-to-list 'mm-inline-media-tests
>              '("text/html" mm-inline-text ignore))
>
> What happens when you do that?

That's sort of an improvement. It now shows me the html source, which
loads very quickly, but reads rather more slowly to my as yet
unassimilated brain.

Seem to me if I could pipe that through a program like unhtml, before
putting it in the buffer, we might have something!

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08  8:17           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:

> That's sort of an improvement. It now shows me the html source, which
> loads very quickly, but reads rather more slowly to my as yet
> unassimilated brain.

Hm.  There is also mm-inlined-types, which contains "text/.*".  Maybe
it helps to remove that item from the variable and to add
"text/plain", instead?

Why does Gnus inline a type which can't be inlined?  Strange.

kai
--

@ 1999-11-08  8:26             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  There is also mm-inlined-types, which contains "text/.*".  Maybe
> it helps to remove that item from the variable and to add
> "text/plain", instead?
>
> Why does Gnus inline a type which can't be inlined?  Strange.

The MIME RFCs say that all text/* parts that can't be grokked should
be displayed anyway.  That's the difference between text/* parts and,
say, application/* -- the text/* parts should remain (theoretically)
legible to a human bean even if the kompooter doesn't quite know how
to deal with them.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08  8:28           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:

> > Hm.  Does it help to add an entry in mm-inline-media-tests which tells
> > Gnus not to display text/html inline?

[...]

> Seem to me if I could pipe that through a program like unhtml, before
> putting it in the buffer, we might have something!

Uhm -- that's what w3 does -- it unhtmlizes the html and displays it
nicely.

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08 16:39             ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-11-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:
>> > Hm.  Does it help to add an entry in mm-inline-media-tests which
>> > tells Gnus not to display text/html inline?
> [...]
>> Seem to me if I could pipe that through a program like unhtml, before
>> putting it in the buffer, we might have something!
> Uhm -- that's what w3 does -- it unhtmlizes the html and displays it
> nicely.

It also make your XEmacs go *whoomp*. I had one that was 135MB RSS
before I killed it. Piping the HTML part through lynx -dump would be
kinda cool. YMMV.
--
Robin S. Socha  <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08 18:39               ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-11-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> Hm.  There is also mm-inlined-types, which contains "text/.*".
>> Maybe it helps to remove that item from the variable and to add
>> "text/plain", instead?
>>
>> Why does Gnus inline a type which can't be inlined?  Strange.

> The MIME RFCs say that all text/* parts that can't be grokked should
> be displayed anyway.  That's the difference between text/* parts
> and, say, application/* -- the text/* parts should remain
> (theoretically) legible to a human bean even if the kompooter
> doesn't quite know how to deal with them.

Bummer.  That sounds like the patches I sent out a couple weeks ago
creating mm-inline-override-types et al screw up MIME compliance.
Sigh.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Mime question - viewing sent html pages
@ 1999-11-08 19:35                 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-11-08 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The MIME RFCs say that all text/* parts that can't be grokked
>> should be displayed anyway.  That's the difference between text/*
>> parts and, say, application/* -- the text/* parts should remain
>> (theoretically) legible to a human bean even if the kompooter
>> doesn't quite know how to deal with them.

> Bummer.  That sounds like the patches I sent out a couple weeks ago
> creating mm-inline-override-types et al screw up MIME compliance.
> Sigh.

Even more of a bummer: when I return to an nnml group with over 200
messages in it, I ought to read them all before responding to one.
Please ignore the above, and thanks for including the patches.
--
Dave Goldberg (G022)
dsg@mitre.org