* possible bug : gnus-group-use-permanent-levels
@ 2011-04-09  6:30 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-09  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

I set this to "t". Most of my levels are higher than the default
activate level of 1 so "g" doesn't "get" them and my gnus start at level
1 doesnt either.

I then did a "C-u 5 g" to get all my news.

The value of gnus-group-use-permanent-levels was then set by gnus to
,----
| gnus-group-use-permanent-levels is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is 5
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, once you set a level, Gnus will use this level.
`----

I would then expect, if I am reading the manual properly, "g" to get from
all levels up to and including 5. It doesnt appear to.

Am I misunderstanding its usage?

* Re: possible bug : gnus-group-use-permanent-levels
@ 2011-04-12 15:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> I would then expect, if I am reading the manual properly, "g" to get from
> all levels up to and including 5. It doesnt appear to.

I think it only applies to listing groups and such?  But I'm not sure...

* Re: possible bug : gnus-group-use-permanent-levels
@ 2011-04-12 16:06   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-12 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I would then expect, if I am reading the manual properly, "g" to get from
>> all levels up to and including 5. It doesnt appear to.
>
> I think it only applies to listing groups and such?  But I'm not
> sure...

It seems to apply to running gnus again too when its still open. . e.g
start Gnus, nothing fetches since all are level > 1 and the activate
level is 1. Then C-u 5 g. Fetches all.

Then (gnus) : fetches again. "g" should also IMO.

There are a few confusing discrepancies with regards to activate levels
IMO but overrall a great feature.