* gnus charset and non-mule xemacs problem
@ 2001-01-17 12:14 Gregory Chernov
From: Gregory Chernov @ 2001-01-17 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus with xemacs non-mule version.
With 5.8.4 version of gnus I had no problem
to control posting charsets.

>From my .gnus:

(setq gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
      '(("^no\\." iso-8859-1 t)
	("^relcom\\>" koi8-r t)
	("^fido7\\>" koi8-r t)
	(message-is-mail koi8-r t)
	(".*" iso-8859-1 t)
	(message-is-news iso-8859-1 t)))

(setq rfc2047-header-encoding-alist
      '(("Newsgroups" . nil)
        ("Message-ID" . nil)
        ("Subject" . nil)
        (t . mime)))

(setq mm-body-charset-encoding-alist '((koi8-r . 8bit)))

Now I'm using 5.8.8 version (20001218 snapshot)
and experiencing real problems to send messages
with non-ascii characters.

As far as I understand new gnus does not use
gnus-group-posting-charset-alist and rfc2047-header-encoding-alist
variables in non-mule environment. Only variable that
controls posting charset is message-default-charset.
Ok. I set message-default-charset to nil and now gnus
is asking me for charset every time I'm sending non-ascii
messages. It's annoying but I can live with it.
The real problem is non-ascii headers. When I send
message with non-ascii subject gnus ask me:
"Some texts are not encoded. Encode anyway?"
and when I answer "no" I get:
error "Cannot send unencoded text."
So the only way is to answer "yes" and then gnus
sends subject as iso-8859-1 encoded and this is
really bad.

Please help me to solve this problem,
I really don't want to go back to 5.8.4.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-01-17 12:14 UTC | newest]