* pop mailboxes
@ 1997-02-03 23:32 Daniel Simms
From: Daniel Simms @ 1997-02-03 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all,

Well, I (finally!) started using gnus for email over the weekend and
I have some problems, of course.  Whee!

Pop mail spool files, which begin with "^po:", get caught by ange-ftp
after the first *get-new-news.  It's only after the first fetching
since nnmail-get-new-mail loads ange-ftp's password reading function
halfway through the first pass.  I couldn't see how to cleanly fix
this, so I tried forcing ange-ftp to unload at the end of fetching
mail, but that didn't really work since ange-ftp has all sorts of
other non-gnus functions hooked from hell to breakfast.  I ended up
tweaking nnmail to also look for "^po;" and used that instead of
"po:".

While respooling old mail, I noticed that splitting into a
non-existant group isn't so useful.  Is there some way to get gnus to
auto-create non-existant groups?

I check mail from several different pop mailboxes, and wrapped
pop3-movemail so that I could explicitly specify maildrop, host, port,
authentication scheme, and password in the spool file variable, more
like vm does.  And then I was bored so I added some code to save the
passwords on sucessful authorization.  (I also added some flags to
allow leaving mail on the server, which isn't all that useful except
for some testing, since I haven't added the UIDL matching code yet.)
Does anybody want this?  Richard, Lars?

Anyway, thanks again to everybody who makes gnus work.

--
Daniel Simms           "You don't have to pretend to be interested in
dsimms@alink.net        me you know.  I know I'm only a menial robot."