* foreign group names are ugly
@ 1996-06-08  3:10 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 1996-06-08  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't like the way foreign groups are always displayed with the `nn...:'
prefix.

I realize that it's necessary to disambiguate cases of duplicate group names
between two different backends -- however, I would like to be able to specify
which backend is the default `pretty' one for a particular group.

So, for most groups, the main nntp backend would be the default, and any
identically named groups using another backend would get the appropiate
backend-specific prefix.  However, if I read mail with gnus, I'd like to be
able to say that groups matching the regexp "^mail\." are displayed with no
prefix only when they belong to the nnfoo+blah backend (and of course groups
matching "^ding\." would be associated prettily with the nndir+... backend
via which I read this list....

Is this possible with the current design of gnus?

-Miles
--
Miles Bader / miles@gnu.ai.mit.edu / (617) 253-8568
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'

* Re: foreign group names are ugly
@ 1996-06-09  4:09 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-09  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> So, for most groups, the main nntp backend would be the default, and any
> identically named groups using another backend would get the appropiate
> backend-specific prefix.  However, if I read mail with gnus, I'd like to be
> able to say that groups matching the regexp "^mail\." are displayed with no
> prefix only when they belong to the nnfoo+blah backend (and of course groups
> matching "^ding\." would be associated prettily with the nndir+... backend
> via which I read this list....
>
> Is this possible with the current design of gnus?

Sure.  Just write a `gnus-user-format-function-X' function that does
this and plug it into `gnus-group-line-format'.  Or use "%G" instead
of "%g" in that variable to have all groups listed unprefixed.