* getting new news in Topic mode
@ 1996-03-04 23:47 Dave Blacka
From: Dave Blacka @ 1996-03-04 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In sgnus, it might be nice, whilst in topic mode, to be able to get
new articles for those groups under your topic by hitting 'M-g' on the
topic marker.  'T g' might also be a good binding for this.

Dave

* Re: getting new news in Topic mode
@ 1996-03-05  0:33 ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-03-05  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Speaking of topic mode...I've just been using it for a little while and I
keep finding myself hitting `T' commands whilst sitting on newsgroup
lines.  I want to be able to do topic commands and have them apply to the
topic containing the group that I'm sitting on (like `T h' to hide the
topic when I'm done with the groups in that topic).  Is there any reason
it wasn't done that way to begin with?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: getting new news in Topic mode
@ 1996-03-05 20:17 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-05 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Blacka <dblacka@fuentez.com> writes:

> In sgnus, it might be nice, whilst in topic mode, to be able to get
> new articles for those groups under your topic by hitting 'M-g' on the
> topic marker.  'T g' might also be a good binding for this.

Or `M-g' could work on topics.  Which it does.  :-)  Unless there's a
bug somewhere, of course.

* Re: getting new news in Topic mode
@ 1996-03-05 20:54   ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-03-05 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

> Or `M-g' could work on topics.  Which it does.  :-)  Unless there's a
> bug somewhere, of course.

...and if you put it on a `T g' sort of key binding and the topic commands
were applied to all of the groups under the "current topic" (which I
define to be the immediate parent topic of the "current newsgroup" which I
define to be the newsgroup that point is currently on).

Lacking that, having a `T #' (or `T h' to parallel the normal `C-x h'
emacs binding for mark-whole-buffer)  to process mark all of the groups in
the "current topic", then doing a `M-g' (or whatever you want) to all of
those groups would do the trick too.

I just noticed that 0.49 (at least) already has a `T #' binding, but it
has a bug that I just noticed....it doesn't seem to want to process mark
the first group under a topic.  I just hit `T #' on either a topic line or
on a newsgroup line and it marks all of the groups under that topic except
for the top most one.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> I just noticed that 0.49 (at least) already has a `T #' binding, but it
> has a bug that I just noticed....it doesn't seem to want to process mark
> the first group under a topic.  I just hit `T #' on either a topic line or
> on a newsgroup line and it marks all of the groups under that topic except
> for the top most one.

Fix in September Gnus v0.50.