* Avoiding double encoding in subject
@ 2006-07-26 11:00 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-26 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when replying to an article who's subject contains an unknown (or
invalid) encoding...

| Newsgroups: gmane.test
| Subject: bogus or unknown charset in =?iso-8859-17?Q?=E4?= subject

-- i.e. the charset is unknown to (X)Emacs[1] -- and not present in
`mm-charset-synonym-alist', Gnus produces a subject like...

| Newsgroups: gmane.test
| Subject: Re: bogus or unknown charset in =?us-ascii?Q?=3D=3Fiso-8859-17=3F?=
|  =?us-ascii?Q?Q=3F=3DE4=3F=3D?= subject

Bad.

I'm not sure how Gnus should handle this situation.  Some
possibilities:

(1) Gnus could (probably, I don't know if it is feasible to implement
    this) mark the Subject as "not decoded" and resend it "as is"
    without the double[2] us-ascii encoding.  Gnus also has to make
    sure that this mark survives when the article is saved to the
    drafts folder.

    Problem: If the given charset is really invalid rather than
    unknown (the user usually can't decide), Gnus will also produce an
    incorrect article.

(2) Gnus' decoder could replace the unknown/invalid characters with a
    replacement character ("?", U+FFFD = REPLACEMENT CHARACTER, ...).

    Problem: It's probably not possible to get the number of
    replacement characters right.

Other suggestions?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] This may happen when (X)Emacs is to old to support a newly
    introduced charset.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)