* more Gnus questions
@ 1996-06-23  6:45 Joe Wells
From: Joe Wells @ 1996-06-23  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are a couple more questions about Gnus:

1. What is the relationship between gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method and
   gnus-auto-subscribed-groups?  When is gnus-auto-subscribed-groups used?
   The default value of gnus-auto-subscribed-groups does not match nntp
   groups from my main server.  How do they become subscribed?

2. After typing both "G a" and "G h" in the group buffer, the server
   buffer now lists

     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)

   but has no listing for the (nndir
   "/ftp@ftp.hpc.uh.edu:/pub/emacs/ding-list-recent/") server.  Why?

??????

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>

* Re: more Gnus questions
@ 1996-06-23 22:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

jbw@cs.bu.edu (Joe Wells) writes:

> 1. What is the relationship between gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method and
>    gnus-auto-subscribed-groups?

Groups that match the latter will not be handled by the former.

>    When is gnus-auto-subscribed-groups used?

When new groups have arrived.

>    The default value of gnus-auto-subscribed-groups does not match nntp
>    groups from my main server.  How do they become subscribed?

Using `gnus-subscribe-options-newsgroup-method'.

> 2. After typing both "G a" and "G h" in the group buffer, the server
>    buffer now lists
>
>      {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
>
>    but has no listing for the (nndir
>    "/ftp@ftp.hpc.uh.edu:/pub/emacs/ding-list-recent/") server.  Why?

nndir is a very un-server-forming server.  That is, it only handles a
single group (at a time), so it's a bit weird.  (So is nndoc, but in a
different way.  Sorta.)

* gnus-auto-subscribed-groups (was: more Gnus questions)
@ 1996-06-25  1:40   ` Joe Wells
From: Joe Wells @ 1996-06-25  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >> 1. What is the relationship between gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method
  >> and gnus-auto-subscribed-groups?

  Lars> Groups that match the latter will not be handled by the former.

Could this be documented in these variables' documentation strings (what
is reached by "C-h v")?  This was not apparent from the documentation.

Also, it seems there is something funny here.  Why does
gnus-auto-subscribed-groups even exist when there is the more general
mechanism?  How does one specify where to put the new groups subscribed
via gnus-auto-subscribed-groups or what level to give them?

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>

* Re: gnus-auto-subscribed-groups (was: more Gnus questions)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu> writes:

>   >> 1. What is the relationship between gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method
>   >> and gnus-auto-subscribed-groups?
>
>   Lars> Groups that match the latter will not be handled by the former.
>
> Could this be documented in these variables' documentation strings (what
> is reached by "C-h v")?  This was not apparent from the documentation.

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.2.27.

> Also, it seems there is something funny here.  Why does
> gnus-auto-subscribed-groups even exist when there is the more general
> mechanism?  How does one specify where to put the new groups subscribed
> via gnus-auto-subscribed-groups or what level to give them?

Groups that match that regexp are subscribed using
`gnus-subscribe-options-newsgroup-method', which defaults to
subscribing the group alphabetically.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen