* imap and nognus - timeout?
@ 2010-09-09 15:57 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-09 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Using the current git nognus, if I leave my email unattended for a
while, come back and hit "g" to fetch I get this

,----
| imap-send-command-1: Process imap not running
`----

I need to restart gnus to get mail/news working again.

Any ideas? Some sort of system timeout or a bug in gnus?

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://www.richardriley.net

"Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is 'cheval' and
 everything follows thusly."

* Re: imap and nognus - timeout?
@ 2010-09-09 18:48 ` Knut Anders Hatlen
From: Knut Anders Hatlen @ 2010-09-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Using the current git nognus, if I leave my email unattended for a
> while, come back and hit "g" to fetch I get this
>
> ,----
> | imap-send-command-1: Process imap not running
> `----
>
> I need to restart gnus to get mail/news working again.
>
> Any ideas? Some sort of system timeout or a bug in gnus?

I see this too. Sometimes it starts working again if I visit a group,
other times that fails too so I have to restart gnus.

If I remember correctly, imap-ping-server was introduced a while ago to
work around a similar problem. Before executing an IMAP command, gnus
will do a ping to check that the connection is still alive, and
reconnect if the connection is dead. Perhaps the changes to speed up 'g'
lately made it take another path that doesn't do this extra check?

--
Knut Anders