* Dark faces
@ 1996-06-05 15:15 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

(defvar gnus-face-dark-name-list
  '("RoyalBlue" "firebrick" "dark green" "OrangeRed"
    "dark khaki" "dark violet" "SteelBlue4"))

These all seem too light to me.  Does anybody have a list of darker
colors that look nice when reading cited text?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Dark faces
@ 1996-06-05 20:10 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-05 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> (defvar gnus-face-dark-name-list
Lars>   '("RoyalBlue" "firebrick" "dark green" "OrangeRed"
Lars>     "dark khaki" "dark violet" "SteelBlue4"))

Lars> These all seem too light to me.  Does anybody have a list of darker
Lars> colors that look nice when reading cited text?

This is what I've been using since before 5.0:
(setq gnus-face-dark-name-list
  '("dark blue" "firebrick"
    "dark green" "OrangeRed" "DarkOliveGreen4" "dark violet"
    "SteelBlue4" "DeepPink3" "CornflowerBlue" "SeaGreen" "dark magenta"))

DarkOliveGreen4 isn't too satisfactory, and SeaGreen is marginal, but
they basically work against a gray background.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Dark faces
@ 1996-06-07 20:46 ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-06-07 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Was the change (some time between 5.2.7 and 5.2.10) for the dark
background to use:
	    ((eq gnus-background-mode 'dark)
	     `(((and (not mailp) (eq level 1)) .
		,(custom-face-lookup "LemonChiffon1" nil nil t))
	       ((and (not mailp) (eq level 2)) .

(namely LemonChiffon1..4 and aquamarine1..4) intended to force people
to learn how to use the customize code? :-) Those colors look rather
indistinct on a black background -- the original colors (ie. the ones
still listed in the texinfo file!) are much clearer to me...

Perhaps this is a difference in gamma-correction across displays
(since that's something X totally fails to handle...) and maybe it's
just my preference for primary colors... but these pastels are just
not very distinct.

(gnus is, of course, a wonderful thing, and color customization is
mostly a matter of opinion, so feel free to ignore me - I've got a
.custom.el set up now :-)

* Re: Dark faces
@ 1996-06-09  3:54   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-09  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> Perhaps this is a difference in gamma-correction across displays
> (since that's something X totally fails to handle...) and maybe it's
> just my preference for primary colors... but these pastels are just
> not very distinct.

Probably a gamma-correction thing.  Gnus 5.2.13 should have clearer
colours.