From: larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Request for "maildir" support
Date: 04 Mar 1996 20:38:18 +0100	[thread overview]

tom@smart.ruhr.de (Thomas Neumann) writes:

> A guy named D.J. Bernstein <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu> is currently
> developing "qmail", a new MTA. qmail features a new mailbox
> format called "maildir", which is different from std. UNIX mailbox
> files, different from MH folders and different from whatever you
> care to name.

Well, it isn't even an mbox format.

Reading through the manual I was struck by how absolutely hype-free
and down-to-earth it was.  :-)  He should definitely learn how to
overcome his modesty.  Really.

I think the format he's chosen for the incoming mail is OK, and I
think Gnus should definitely support it if more than 1 site decides to
use qmail.  It'll have to wait until Red Gnus, though.

One thing that puzzles me from the delivery section:

       Fifth, the program _\bN_\bF_\bS_\b-_\bw_\br_\bi_\bt_\be_\bs the mes-
       sage  to the file.

If the file is Huge, and Gnus starts reading/moving this file before
it has arrived totally, won't this potentially mean that Gnus might
get an incomplete version of the file.

So I guess it isn't as simple as the manual says to read the "new"
directory.  The reader has to check the "cur" directory that the
corresponding file there has been removed before it attempts to deal
with a file in the "new" directory.