* Backslash in subject
@ 2012-04-09 16:32 Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2012-04-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

The subject

  ~(E)[\]] does not match "]"?

on the ast-users mailing list has repeatedly caused problems for me.
I'm using Ma Gnus v0.4 and GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1.

First, when fetching the batch of messages which contained this thread
from my POP3 server, all messages were written into
~/.emacs-mail-crash-box.  It's a good idea to save the data when a
problem occurs, but you have to know about .emacs-mail-crash-box,
because you're not notified.  So you wonder (a) where your mail has gone
and (b) why you can't fetch new mail.

Second, I tried to import the mail from .emacs-mail-crash-box into Gnus
by opening the file via G f.  However, this batch of mail also contained
several digests, and Gnus then showed me only the messages of the first
digest (as individual messages) and no other messages.  Again I wondered
where may mail had gone.

Eventually I was able to solve the problem by replacing \] with \\] in
.emacs-mail-crash-box and copying it to my local mailbox.  However, this
was a very unpleasant experience.

Now I wonder:

1. Is this a bug in Gnus?  It seems so.

2. Shouldn't users be informed when their mail is written into
   .emacs-mail-crash-box?

3. Is there a way to open an mbox file which contains digests as a
   foreign group?

This particular batch of mail does not contain any personal messages, so
I'd be happy to provide it for debugging.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

--
Dr.-Ing. Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                   <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt> (ID 0x1614A044)

* Re: Backslash in subject
@ 2012-04-10 18:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-04-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Piotrowski; +Cc: ding

Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de> writes:

> The subject
>
>   ~(E)[\]] does not match "]"?
>
> on the ast-users mailing list has repeatedly caused problems for me.
> I'm using Ma Gnus v0.4 and GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1.
>
> First, when fetching the batch of messages which contained this thread
> from my POP3 server, all messages were written into
> ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box.

So did Gnus crash while downloading the mail?

`(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and post the resulting
backtrace.

> Second, I tried to import the mail from .emacs-mail-crash-box into Gnus
> by opening the file via G f.

The next time you ask Gnus to fetch email, it will read the mail in that
file first.

* Re: Backslash in subject
@ 2012-04-11 15:34   ` Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2012-04-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ok, I'm sorry for the noise, the problem was actually caused by one of
my own functions in `nnmail-prepare-incoming-header-hook', which
replaces non-standard variants of "Re:" (such as "AW:" and "SV:") with
"Re:" and which replaces repeated "Re:"s with a single one.  At one
point the "rest" of the subject (containing the backslash) was fed into
`replace-match', causing an error.

Thanks and best regards