From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Red Gnus v0.1 is released
Date: 31 Jul 1996 13:17:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

> How about defvaring all keymaps to empty keymaps in gnus-start or
> someplace equally early and having the actual keymap setup code
> checking to see if an entry already exists bwefore adding one?

That's a good idea.  Fix in Red Gnus v0.2.

> But, this can cause problems if you do something that requires
> bandwidth in itself (for instance, hitting "g" locks me up solid coz
> my PPP link is being used for the async fetch -- the b/w won't even be
> shared well coz the SYN's will take a longish time to get through to
> establish the new connection).  Maybe some kind of scheduler or
> limiter for the async stuff?  Hmm, maybe just using one connection for
> all NNTP I/O would suffice since this would serialize requests
> automatically, all that'd be needed is intelligent prioritized
> scheduling (with preemption based on priority) of commands over that
> one link.

Well, that leads to all sorts of different problems.  Say that the
async fetch has started to fetch a Huge article, and then you decide
that you want to read some other article.  Since there is no way to
terminate a command that has already been sent, this means that you'll
have to wait until the async fetch has ended.  When using two
connections, that just means that your PPP link will have to transfer
the two articles at the same time, which is no problem.  Somewhat
slower, but no problem.