* Puzzle: Why do some follow-ups thread and some not
@ 1996-06-14 16:28 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-06-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 19.31, Gnus 5.2.14 (but this behaviour I've observed since 5.1)

What makes some articles in mail folders thread, and some not?

Articles made with a follow-up with Gnus seem to thread, articles
created with a reply in RMAIL seem to thread.  Articles made with a
reply with Mew seem to thread.

Articles made with a reply with mh-e doesn't thread.  Ditto for exmh.
I've created a replcomps file that gives me In-reply-to headers and
References headers.

At the start, I *think* I got these to thread, but then they suddenly
stopped threading.

But all of this may be caused by erronous headers.  So here comes the
mysterious part:
 I have two articles.  One made by RMAIL (the one from Trond
 Kristiansen), one made by mh-e (the one from me).

I've tried hand editing the one from me, to see if I could get it to
thread, and I've been unsuccessful in doing so.

I've done the testing by editing, then starting a new emacs, then
killing all Gnus buffers and exiting emacs, answering "yes" on the
"unsaved buffers exits, do you really...etc.".  Then editing, and
starting a new emacs, answering "n" on the offer to use auto save
file (even when I've deleted "#.newsrc-dribble" it displays this
prompt).

So here are the two headers.  As near as I can see, all headers that
should be relevant for threading are identical.  But one thread and
the other doesn't.

This isn't like, important.  But it really *bugs* me not knowing *why*
this happens...:-(

Is the information about the threading cached in some obscure place?
I've tried stripped everything relating to this mailing list out of
.newsrc.eld (without finding anything, when I refused the offer to
save).

Header 1

Replied: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:33:20 +0200
Replied: "Trond Kristiansen <tk@metis.no> dk,jh,lro,ht"
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:30:29 +0200
From: Trond Kristiansen <tk@metis.no>
To: dk@metis.no
CC: jh@metis.no, lro@metis.no, ht@metis.no, sb@metis.no, lro@metis.no
Subject: Re: New 1.x API

Header 2

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:16:25 +0200
From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
To: Dag Karlsen <dk@metis.no>
CC: jh@metis.no, lro@metis.no, ht@metis.no, sb@metis.no, lro@metis.no

* Re: Puzzle: Why do some follow-ups thread and some not
@ 1996-06-14 17:34 ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang

From: Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: 14 Jun 1996 19:34:56 +0200

In your case the answer is quite easy: The second subject line has a
space at the end, the first one not.

I see this happening many times, maybe we could ignore whitespace at
the end of subject lines? (Lars?)

* Re: Puzzle: Why do some follow-ups thread and some not
@ 1996-06-14 22:21   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-06-14 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

JL> In your case the answer is quite easy: The second subject line has
JL> a space at the end, the first one not.

JL> I see this happening many times, maybe we could ignore whitespace
JL> at the end of subject lines? (Lars?)

	And at the beginning - I'm on a mailing list that insists on
using Header:<tab> instead of Header:<space>.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: Puzzle: Why do some follow-ups thread and some not
@ 1996-06-14 22:55   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-14 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> I see this happening many times, maybe we could ignore whitespace at
> the end of subject lines? (Lars?)

Well, we could allow a new value to `gnus-thread-ignore-subject' --
`spaces', or something.  (We could even default to that.)  And then
subjects that differ in white space only could be considered the
"same" subject for threading purposes.  I've now added this to the Red
Gnus todo list.