* Jump to group
@ 1996-04-29 14:52 Dr. Pete Gieser
From: Dr. Pete Gieser @ 1996-04-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm just curious if anyone knows why it takes so long to jump
to a group that is not subscribed to.  Using XEmacs 19.13 and
sgnus 0.77.  It used to be almost instantaneous.  Now it takes
10 to 20 seconds.

Pete
--

Peter Gieser, Ph.D.                    Phone:  (904) 392-5198 ext. 441
POG Statistical Office                 FAX:    (904) 392-8162

                 * Send me email to recieve my PGP public key *

* Re: Jump to group
@ 1996-04-30  9:54 ` Ketil.Z
From: Ketil.Z @ 1996-04-30  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Dr. Pete Gieser" <pete@seldon.pog.ufl.edu> writes:

> I'm just curious if anyone knows why it takes so long to jump to a
> group that is not subscribed to.  Using XEmacs 19.13 and sgnus 0.77.
> It used to be almost instantaneous.  Now it takes 10 to 20 seconds.

I have the same problem with sgnus 0.76.  Jumping into a mail group, I
get a «Fetching headers» message that stays for an unbearably long
time.  Newsgroups are still fast.

~kzm
--
Mail from aol.com and interramp.com domains will be discarded
Finger <ketil@haukugle.ii.uib.no> for more info

* Re: Jump to group
@ 1996-05-01  4:58   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-01  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ketil> "Dr. Pete Gieser" <pete@seldon.pog.ufl.edu> writes:

>> I'm just curious if anyone knows why it takes so long to jump to a
>> group that is not subscribed to.

Switching groups mail or news, has always been very slow for me.  I've
always assumed it had something to do with a huge active file -- the
local news server had over 15,000 newsgroups the last time I counted.
Nothing Gnus does with that many newsgroups is fast ... (or did the
last time I checked, which was quite awhile ago).

Ketil> I have the same problem with sgnus 0.76.  Jumping into a mail group, I
Ketil> get a «Fetching headers» message that stays for an unbearably long
Ketil> time.  Newsgroups are still fast.

The «Fetching headers» message is something different.  The speed of
that varies widely depending on the backend and the editor.  XEmacs
19.13 + nnmh can be excruciatingly slow and memory hungry.  Emacs is
better behaved though.  I've heard a number of performance complaints
fetching mail from backends off of NFS.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Jump to group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Switching groups mail or news, has always been very slow for me.  I've
> always assumed it had something to do with a huge active file -- the
> local news server had over 15,000 newsgroups the last time I counted.

No, the size of the active file shouldn't affect the speed of
switching between groups.  The number of (un)subscribed group does
affect speed, though -- especially when using topics.