* Sent-Message-IDs file
@ 1996-03-14 19:03 d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-03-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Browse Foreign Server:
@ 1996-03-14 20:08 ` Muhammad Farrukh Khan
From: Muhammad Farrukh Khan @ 1996-03-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

So far, I have been unable to read an nntp server outside of my school.  Each
site seems to come back with "Unable to contact server: could'nt open
connection to ".  Other times I also got a message "Server does not have
permission to talk...".  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh Khan, khan@cs.purdue.edu

* Re: Browse Foreign Server:
@ 1996-03-15  8:16   ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-03-15  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus List

Muhammad> So far, I have been unable to read an nntp server outside of
Muhammad> my school.  Each site seems to come back with "Unable to
Muhammad> contact server: could'nt open connection to ".  Other times
Muhammad> I also got a message "Server does not have permission to
Muhammad> talk...".  Am I missing something?

You cannot connect to an arbitrary NNTP server and expect it to honore
your requests. You must connect either to an open NNTP server (there
is a list somewhere on the web, use a search engine to locate it) or
to a NNTP server which has been set up to let your particuliar host
access it.

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire

* Re: Sent-Message-IDs file
@ 1996-03-15 17:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-15 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

dhall@illusion.apk.net (d. hall) writes:

> What is it, where is it (variable wise),

`gnus-sent-message-ids-file', stangely enough.  :-)

> What does it do?

It's supposed to contain the Message-IDs of all sent messages to be
able to warn the user when she tries to send a mail she has already
sent.  This is useful when dealing with SOUP mail packets.

* Re: Browse Foreign Server:
@ 1996-03-15 17:41   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-15 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Muhammad Farrukh Khan

khan@cs.purdue.edu (Muhammad Farrukh Khan) writes:

> So far, I have been unable to read an nntp server outside of my school.  Each
> site seems to come back with "Unable to contact server: could'nt open
> connection to ".  Other times I also got a message "Server does not have
> permission to talk...".  Am I missing something?

This probably means that you don't have permission to talk to the
server.

Try the following:

$ telnet the.nntp.server nntp

and see what it says.