* Just a thought about gnus-subscribe alphabetically, hier and inter..
@ 1996-09-17  8:53 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-17  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

It just struck me, the subscription methods.. three of them decides
the order in which the new grous is sorted, while the rest doesn't
bother/mention about how the groups is sorted??

What if I want to subscribe interactively, and the groups I select I
want to be sorted alpahbetically/hierarchically??

It feels like asking if you want your coffee warm or cold or with
sugar!

	/Andy
--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Just a thought about gnus-subscribe alphabetically, hier and inter..
@ 1996-09-17 11:42 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-17 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> wrote:

| What if I want to subscribe interactively, and the groups I select I
| want to be sorted alpahbetically/hierarchically??

Uhm reading the docs now reveals the variable
gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive, but it still feels like if I
want warm or cold or with milk coffee, and if I want sugar in it..

Maybe should split it up in subscribe-newsgroup-method and a
subscribe-newsgroup-order??

Or maybe I shouldn't awake the bear thats sleeping??

	/Andy

--
 Gee gotta do something to this .sig sometime..

@ 1996-09-18  1:29   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-18  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Uhm reading the docs now reveals the variable
> gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive, but it still feels like if I
> want warm or cold or with milk coffee, and if I want sugar in it..
>
> Maybe should split it up in subscribe-newsgroup-method and a
> subscribe-newsgroup-order??

I agree.  I've now added this to the todo list.

* Re: Just a thought about gnus-subscribe alphabetically, hier and inter..
@ 1996-09-18  7:24     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-18  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:
|
| > Uhm reading the docs now reveals the variable
| > gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive, but it still feels like if I
| > want warm or cold or with milk coffee, and if I want sugar in it..
| >
| > Maybe should split it up in subscribe-newsgroup-method and a
| > subscribe-newsgroup-order??
|
| I agree.  I've now added this to the todo list.

I saw the light tonight.. and I had to hold until today.. How do you
insert groups alphabetically into a list that isn't sorted
alphabetically? My *Group* buffer is a mess from a sorting point of
view.. Howabaout adding a topic 'New groups'??

(BTW Guess it will break backward (pre-ding) gnus compability by doing
this but.. well guess it already is done?)

	/Andy

--

@ 1996-09-19  2:13       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-19  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> I saw the light tonight.. and I had to hold until today.. How do you
> insert groups alphabetically into a list that isn't sorted
> alphabetically?

Well, it's difficult.  :-)  Gnus will assume that the articles are
sorted alphabetically, so using `gnus-subscribe-alphabetically' on a
non-sorted group list will insert groups in a semi-random fashion.

> My *Group* buffer is a mess from a sorting point of
> view.. Howabaout adding a topic 'New groups'??

This is on the Red Gnus todo list.