* caching articles in a digest group?
@ 1996-03-10 22:10 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-03-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

September Gnus v0.51; nntp 4.0; nnml 1.0; nndoc 1.0; nnfolder 1.0
GNU Emacs 19.30.1 (mips-dec-ultrix4.2, X toolkit) of Mon Jan  8 1996 on yaz-pistachio

So I just hit * on an article in a digest group, ding happily cached it in a
directory called nndoc:comp.risks-1180 which, near as i can tell it never uses
later.  I'm not sure what should happen here, but it probably shouldn't let me
gobble up disk quota for no purpose.  I suspect the Right Thing probably
involves the thing we've been discussing that would allow following threads
through multiple digests. I think this demonstrates a new requirement of any
solution to that problem: it should be possible to save old articles from old
digests and have them be threaded properly with the new articles.

greg

* Re: caching articles in a digest group?
@ 1996-03-11  4:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-11  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> So I just hit * on an article in a digest group, ding happily cached
> it in a directory called nndoc:comp.risks-1180 which, near as i can
> tell it never uses later.  I'm not sure what should happen here, but
> it probably shouldn't let me gobble up disk quota for no purpose.

Who are we to second-guess what people want to do?  Users may want to
do something like that, and then use a cache server to browse all the
various cache groups, silly or not.

> I suspect the Right Thing probably involves the thing we've been
> discussing that would allow following threads through multiple
> digests. I think this demonstrates a new requirement of any solution
> to that problem: it should be possible to save old articles from old
> digests and have them be threaded properly with the new articles.

Hmn.  Well, I don't quite see how to incorporate cached articles from
some digests into the collections of nndoc groups...

* Re: caching articles in a digest group?
@ 1996-03-11  8:07   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-03-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I wouldn't object if there was any way for me to get those articles.
As far as i can tell they're gone, even if I reenter the digest it's
not marked as cached.  I think the cache is different from something
like saved files i that it's sort of a Gnus internal feature, only
visible via the fact that articles don't get expired.

I think the right place for these cached articles to show up is the
same place that the articles should go between bursting one digest,
and bursting the next one the next day.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> I wouldn't object if there was any way for me to get those articles.

The manual has an example nnspool virtual server that's used to read
the cache.  Seems usable to me...

> I think the right place for these cached articles to show up is the
> same place that the articles should go between bursting one digest,
> and bursting the next one the next day.

I don't see how to work that.