* ephemeral for dummies?
@ 1996-04-25 12:40 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-04-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

suppose I've got a backend (you know it's nndb.el :).  Suppose further
I want to extend this to create ephemeral groups.  What do I have to
change in nndb.el to enable it to create ephemeral groups, too?  (I'd
be willing to create yet another backend nneb.el (e=ephemeral) if
that's easier.)

Just in case you're wondering...  NNDB has an option to search its
database.  This works by creating groups which have "=" in their
name.  NNDB then creates a new group on the fly and puts the search
result into it.  This group can be manipulated using the normal
measures.  I just thought it would be easier to be able to create an
ephemeral group rather than to always create a `real' group (using `G
m') and to kill it after use.

kai
--
Gleep!

* Re: ephemeral for dummies?
@ 1996-04-28  9:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-28  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> suppose I've got a backend (you know it's nndb.el :).  Suppose further
> I want to extend this to create ephemeral groups.  What do I have to
> change in nndb.el to enable it to create ephemeral groups, too?  (I'd
> be willing to create yet another backend nneb.el (e=ephemeral) if
> that's easier.)

The backend doesn't have to know whether the group in question is
ephemeral or not -- which should save some work.  Just call
`gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group' to select an ephemeral group.  It
takes four parameters -- the group name, the select method, a flag
that says whether the group should be activated or not, and a window
configuration that says where Gnus should go when the user presses `q'
in the ephemeral group.

Gnus uses this function when `C-d'ing in the summary buffer, or when
reading nneething groups.