* nnweb /altavista searches..
@ 1996-10-02 13:12 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-10-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

When searching on altavista through nnweb I find the following quirks.

If the article doesn't exist on altavista I get the following:
Could not open article file.

in some kind of temporay buffer, and:
Contacting ww2.altavista.digital.com:80
Retrieval complete.
Mark set
Args out of range: 1, 143

In the mini buffer, maybe some better way to handle the case?

And.. well wouldn't it be better to get the 'binary'representation of
the article, rather than the one with the html codes in it? (the 'b'
link on the altavista search page)

BTW is it possible to get more than the 10 first matches??

And am I only dreaming when it would be nice to grab the article from
the local newsserver (the 'l' button on the altavista search page?)

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: nnweb /altavista searches..
@ 1996-10-03 11:11 ` Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-10-03 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> And am I only dreaming when it would be nice to grab the article from
> the local newsserver (the 'l' button on the altavista search page?)

Doesn't altavista have an entire database of news articles, not
restricted by age like the local newsservers?  I may be wrong about
this...

Wes

* Re: nnweb /altavista searches..
@ 1996-10-03 12:32   ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-10-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch wrote:

| Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:
|
| > And am I only dreaming when it would be nice to grab the article from
| > the local newsserver (the 'l' button on the altavista search page?)
|
| Doesn't altavista have an entire database of news articles, not
| restricted by age like the local newsservers?  I may be wrong about
| this...

You are correct, but sometimes it might be faster getting the article
from the local newsserver instead. And sometimes articles manage to
get purged from altavista before my newsserver, dunno know why, must be
me who has strange tastes :-)

I don't want a change, just the possibility, freedom, freedom of
choice.. uhm well.. then I also have the freedom to hack it
myself.. brr.

	/Andy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> You are correct, but sometimes it might be faster getting the article
> from the local newsserver instead.

This should be possible, and I've now added it to the todo list.