* Message feature requests and gnus elisp query
@ 1996-10-13 23:42 Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1996-10-13 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Note: I'm a bit behind the times with Gnus 5.2.25, so the correct
response to my requests might be "Upgrade, dummy."  Which would be
cheerfully accepted. :) ]

It'd be nice if more of the syntax checks performed on news messages
were also performed on mail messages; e.g. checking for lines > 79
characters, multiple identical headers.

It'd be nice if there were a message-news-courtesy-message variable
available that would be inserted in the news version of a message sent
both through news and mail; sometimes, it's possible for the primary
recipient to be the mail recipient (who shouldn't have a
courtesy-message inserted), and the secondary recipient be the news
recipient (who should).  E.g. when I make requests of the system
administrator, I sometimes simultaneously post to harvard.hascs (the
local newsgroup devoted to system issues) to let people know that
they're not alone in seeing a problem, and that I've already sent info
about it to the manager, so they needn't do so as well.

One thing I'm confused about how to do effectively is to disable the
message-courtesy-message temporarily for a given message via elisp.
E.g. if I've got a bit of elisp like this:

(defun my-reply-mainly-mail-also-news ()
  "Compose mail that can also be news, but which won't have a courtesy
message in the mail version."
  (interactive)
  (gnus-summary-reply)
  (setq message-courtesy-message ""))

...how can I make it so the setting of message-courtesy-message only
has effect for the duration of this message (but lasts long enough to
actually have an effect), and also so that it won't have an effect on
other messages composed and sent while this one is in progress?

Thanks.

Joev                            <URL:"http://www.math.harvard.edu/~joev/">

  "Eh, this junk was hardly worth getting up for.  Maybe if I go back
   to sleep for a few days, some good mail will build up!"
          -- Grampa, the Simpsons

* Re: Message feature requests and gnus elisp query
@ 1996-10-14  7:14 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-10-14  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Joev> (defun my-reply-mainly-mail-also-news ()
  Joev>   "Compose mail that can also be news, but which won't have a courtesy
  Joev> message in the mail version."
  Joev>   (interactive)
  Joev>   (gnus-summary-reply)
  Joev>   (setq message-courtesy-message ""))

Would this work?

(defun my-reply-mainly-mail-also-news ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((message-courtesy-message ""))
    (gnus-summary-reply)))

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Message feature requests and gnus elisp query
@ 1996-10-14  8:36   ` Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1996-10-14  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Would this work?

> (defun my-reply-mainly-mail-also-news ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((message-courtesy-message ""))
>     (gnus-summary-reply)))

Doesn't seem to, no; the changed value of message-courtesy-message
doesn't last past the interactive entry of the message buffer, where
it has to last until the message is sent in order to have an effect.

Joev                            <URL:"http://www.math.harvard.edu/~joev/">

  "'Once upon a time a child was born.  But he was an unhappy child, and
   hoarded money to the detriment of his loyal employee.  Then he found
   an old silk hat, and when he put it on his head he began to dance
   around.  Seeing this, Santa asked him to lead his sleigh, and the
   child believed that Santa was more than a department store trick.  He
   gave Christmas back to the children, and they all toasted him as the
   richest man in town.'  The end."
          -- John Stewart, Green Lantern: Mosaic 9

* Re: Message feature requests and gnus elisp query
@ 1996-10-14 20:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-14 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

dubach1@husc.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach) writes:

> It'd be nice if more of the syntax checks performed on news messages
> were also performed on mail messages; e.g. checking for lines > 79
> characters, multiple identical headers.

Perhaps something like:

(defun dubach-message-hook ()
  (unless (message-check-news-syntax)
    (error "Bogus, man!")))
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'dubach-message-hook)

> It'd be nice if there were a message-news-courtesy-message variable
> available that would be inserted in the news version of a message sent
> both through news and mail; sometimes, it's possible for the primary
> recipient to be the mail recipient (who shouldn't have a
> courtesy-message inserted), and the secondary recipient be the news
> recipient (who should).  E.g. when I make requests of the system
> administrator, I sometimes simultaneously post to harvard.hascs (the
> local newsgroup devoted to system issues) to let people know that
> they're not alone in seeing a problem, and that I've already sent info
> about it to the manager, so they needn't do so as well.

Uhm -- I think the most important thing here is to let the person who
receives the mail know that what she has just received has also been
posted publicly.  Then she can decide whether to respond publicly or
privately.

> One thing I'm confused about how to do effectively is to disable the
> message-courtesy-message temporarily for a given message via elisp.
> E.g. if I've got a bit of elisp like this:
>
> (defun my-reply-mainly-mail-also-news ()
>   "Compose mail that can also be news, but which won't have a courtesy
> message in the mail version."
>   (interactive)
>   (gnus-summary-reply)
>   (setq message-courtesy-message ""))
>
> ...how can I make it so the setting of message-courtesy-message only
> has effect for the duration of this message (but lasts long enough to
> actually have an effect), and also so that it won't have an effect on
> other messages composed and sent while this one is in progress?

You could bind it to nil when doing the `C-c C-c' command.