* Changing 'primary' server, in an easy way!
@ 1996-04-22  6:50 Andrew Eskilsson
From: Andrew Eskilsson @ 1996-04-22  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am thinking of changing my local (non foreign) server, now when
they have it up and running here at school, it would be easy to just
change the select-method to nntp "new server", but the problem is that
the old server carries groups the new doesn't carry.

So I thought if you could convert the local server to foreign
group-entries, and then changing the select method, by this way I can
easily catch up on whats new on the new server, the groups that are
fed ok I just delete from the old server, and keep the ones missing.

Any comments?

	/andy

p.s. BTW why do we distinguish between foreign and 'local' servers,
why not do all servers (groups) 'foreign'?

--
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.

* Re: Changing 'primary' server, in an easy way!
@ 1996-04-22 16:17 ` Ching-Mo Chang
From: Ching-Mo Chang @ 1996-04-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Andrew> p.s. BTW why do we distinguish between foreign and 'local'
 Andrew> servers, why not do all servers (groups) 'foreign'?

And why not

	when gnus startup, I see

nntp: news.wsu.edu	wsunews		My main News server

nntp: news.ifcss.org	ifcssnews	A server for chinese news groups

nnml: private		privatemail	My mail groups

 ..     ..               .....

 ..     ..               .....

So when I choose the first entry, gnus will start nntp to get news from
`news.wsu.edu' according the `wsunews.eld' startup file. And when I choose
the third entry, it will just go get my newly arrived mail and open my
mail groups according the `privatemail.eld' startup file.

Right now I am using

(defun wsu ()
   "Use `news.wsu.edu' as NNTP server for gnus."
   (interactive)
   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.wsu.edu" "119"))
   (setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus-startup/wsu")
   (my-gnus-quick-start)
   (gnus))

for each nntp server.

--
Ching-Mo Chang <chang@wsu.edu> <chang@theta.math.wsu.edu>

* Re: Changing 'primary' server, in an easy way!
@ 1996-04-22 18:15   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ching-Mo Chang <chang@wsu.edu> writes:

> And why not
>
> 	when gnus startup, I see
>
> nntp: news.wsu.edu	wsunews		My main News server
>
> nntp: news.ifcss.org	ifcssnews	A server for chinese news groups
>
> nnml: private		privatemail	My mail groups

Well -- that would be nice, but it wouldn't be Gnus.  Gnus was
specifically designed to make it easy to read messages from a variety
of sources simultaneously.