* batch operations on destination fields?
@ 1996-06-13  4:19 Mark W. Eichin
From: Mark W. Eichin @ 1996-06-13  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to go through a gnus-summary and mark every article where the
to, cc, resent-*, or apparently-to (the "destination" fields) contain
a string, and then move them en-masse to another folder.

So far, <M-s RET #> repeated (after an initial <M-s pattern>) followed
by <B m> does the right thing. It's tedious, though, and I have a lot
of these.

gnus-summary-limit-to-author looked ideal, except it looks only at
the From field and I want to look at just about everything *else*.
Unfortunately, gnus-summary-find-matching only works on headers that
are cached in gnus-data-header as part of gnus-newsgroup-data.

Is there a gnus function that will give me a list of articles that
match a regexp? <M P R>, via gnus-uu-find-articles-matching, looked
almost right but it doesn't actually search the headers, only the
subjects. Do I basically need to use gnus-summary-search-article (or
something stripped down from it, that doesn't do the window
manipulation) and iterate? (If so, I'll do that and post it here.)

I don't need speed per se - I'm just looking for automation...

* Re: batch operations on destination fields?
@ 1996-06-15  0:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-15  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us (Mark W. Eichin) writes:

> gnus-summary-limit-to-author looked ideal, except it looks only at
> the From field and I want to look at just about everything *else*.
> Unfortunately, gnus-summary-find-matching only works on headers that
> are cached in gnus-data-header as part of gnus-newsgroup-data.

Yes, that's unfortunate.  `gnus-summary-find-matching' should accept
pseudo-"headers" like "body", "head" and "all", the way the scoring
functions do.  I've now added this to the Red Gnus todo list.

> Is there a gnus function that will give me a list of articles that
> match a regexp?

You can cheat a bit and use the scoring (or even killing) code.  Raise
the score on all articles that have a body that match a certain
regexp, go through `gnus-newsgroup-scored' and pick out the
high-scored articles, and there you have it.  You could use something
like `(gnus-summary-score-entry "all" match 'r score 'now nil)'
to score the articles...