* red idea: ghettoize crossposts
@ 1996-06-01 23:52 Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1996-06-01 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have quite a number of groups in which I would like to never see
crossposts from certain other groups.  Now I could just score them below
the expunge point and be done with it, but some of the time I actually
*do* want to read the same posts when they occur in the other group.

To give an example, we have a university-wide group here, ubc.general.
It tends to be pretty low traffic, so I just read it raw.  However,
people from van.general (city), bc.general (province), and some other
regional groups like to crosspost threads into it.  These other groups
have considerably higher volume and noise, so I adaptively score them
agressively.  I'd like to be able to kick crossposts to either out of
ubc.general, and bc.general crossposts out of van.general.

As a second example, I regularly follow alt.config and news.groups, but
I'd rather not see any crossposts to them from a number of other groups
that I might read first.  My news.groups adaptive scoring is tuned for
reorg discussions, and I'd rather not have to pointlessly do the same in
every group when a (crossposted) reorg discussion crops up.

Thus, I would like to see a new score file primative to "kill" posts
crossposted to certain groups (via Xref obviously), but not actually
mark them as read in all other groups too, just never display them in
that particular group.  Perhaps something in ubc.general like
  (hide-crosspost ("van.general" "bc.general"))
or even, if you're feeling more flowery
  (ghettoize ("van.general" "bc.general"))

The latter might avoid some confusion between hiding and killing...

Brian.

* Re: red idea: ghettoize crossposts
@ 1996-06-02  0:42 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-02  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

BE> Thus, I would like to see a new score file primative to "kill" posts
BE> crossposted to certain groups (via Xref obviously), but not actually
BE> mark them as read in all other groups too, just never display them in
BE> that particular group.

Isn't that what happens when your expunge-below is larger than your
mark-below?

I.e. with (expunge-below -100) and (mark-below -1000) you will get:

articles with "score > -100" are shown

articles with "-100 > score > -1000" are hidden in this group

articles with "-1000 > score" are hidden, and marked as read in all
groups.

* Re: red idea: ghettoize crossposts
@ 1996-06-02 14:02   ` Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1996-06-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

BE> Thus, I would like to see a new score file primative to "kill" posts
BE> crossposted to certain groups (via Xref obviously), but not actually
BE> mark them as read in all other groups too, just never display them in
BE> that particular group.

Per> Isn't that what happens when your expunge-below is larger than your
Per> mark-below?

I suppose so, that hadn't occurred to me.  However, could that not have
bad (or at least variable) side effects when combined with adaptive
scoring, and lots of other rules that are moving posts down into that
range?  I *want* stuff scored down there normally to get marked so it
can continue to be recognized by the adaptive mechanism.

Or in other words, your suggestion should work in isolation, but I don't
think it will function reliably in the presence of more complicated
scoring rules.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-03  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Edmonds <edmonds@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> I suppose so, that hadn't occurred to me.  However, could that not have
> bad (or at least variable) side effects when combined with adaptive
> scoring, and lots of other rules that are moving posts down into that
> range?  I *want* stuff scored down there normally to get marked so it
> can continue to be recognized by the adaptive mechanism.

Well, it's simple enough to implement and it seems useful, so I've
added it to the Red Gnus todo list.