* [5.2.2] proper highlighting setup?
@ 1996-05-29 15:12 Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1996-05-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

The default value of gnus-article-display-hook contains
gnus-article-maybe-highlight.

I want furious fruit salad, so I want to use gnus-article-highlight.

Is there any "approved" way to get this that's cleaner than:

  (remove-hook 'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-maybe-highlight)
  (add-hook    'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-highlight)

?

* Re: [5.2.2] proper highlighting setup?
@ 1996-05-29 17:16 ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-05-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

As of 19.31 you can delete fontification hooks, assuming the mode
supports font-lock-mode.

(global-font-lock-mode t)

--
Shane Holder                                 e-mail: holder@rsn.hp.com
Hewlett Packard                               phone:     (214)497-4182

* Re: [5.2.2] proper highlighting setup?
@ 1996-05-29 17:57   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1996-05-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

%% Shane Holder <holder@mailhost.rsn.hp.com> writes:

  sh> As of 19.31 you can delete fontification hooks, assuming the mode
  sh> supports font-lock-mode.

  sh> (global-font-lock-mode t)

I have this.  This turns on/off font-lock, but to control _what_ gets
font-locked you have to modify these hooks.  GNUS fontification is too
complex to be controlled with a simple font-lock-maximum-decoration
variable.

See the docs for gnus-article-maybe-highlight and
gnus-article-highlight, and try them yourself to see the difference.

Come to think of it, though, it'd be _really_ nice if there was a
mapping in gnus-article-maybe-highlight between
font-lock-maximum-decoration and the various article fontification
options for articles; then you could leave the hook function as
gnus-article-maybe-highlight and raise the font-lock-maximum-decoration
levels to get more fontification in articles.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development
 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------==<http://www.baynetworks.com/>-
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.

* Re: [5.2.2] proper highlighting setup?
@ 1996-05-29 21:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-29 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul D. Smith" <psmith@BayNetworks.com> writes:

> I want furious fruit salad, so I want to use gnus-article-highlight.
>
> Is there any "approved" way to get this that's cleaner than:
>
>   (remove-hook 'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-maybe-highlight)
>   (add-hook    'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-highlight)

No, that's the canonical way to do things like that.  Or you can just
set `gnus-article-display-hook' to the list of functions you want.  My
version of that hook contains something like 10 functions.