* Image view on winxp
@ 2006-01-10  1:56 reader
From: reader @ 2006-01-10  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm floundering around on a very unfamiliar OS (winxp) trying to get
basic stuff working so I can use emacs and gnus.

I've got mail working ok but wondering how to handle viewing
attachements. (Images in this case)

I do have ImageMagick/display installed under a cygwin install but
when I try to use it by typing `v' on an attachement it claims to be
displaying the attachment but I see nothing.

How can I have a windows application display image attachments?

* Re: Image view on winxp
@ 2006-01-10  3:21 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-01-10  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I run Gnus on WinXP under cygwin (locally built XEmacs) at work, but I
think that as long as you can get your Emacs to start a cygwin shell
(as opposed to native Windows CMD shell) to run your viewers, it
doesn't matter if your Emacs is not compiled with cygwin.
Unfortunately I don't know how to do that under a non-cygwin Emacs.

Anyway, assuming you can fire up viewers via the cygwin shell, the
easy solution is to start damn near all attachments with the cygstart
command, which will detect the file type (probably using the
extension) and start the right program for it.  This is, of course,
almost as dangerous as lookout except that unless you're really brave
and set the right Gnus variables it won't happen automatically.  So be
wary of attachments, make sure you trust the sender, yada yada yada.
Oh, and since you're talking about images, be sure to have applied the
latest patch for the WMF hole that's been making the news lately.
It's quite nasty.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Image view on winxp
@ 2006-02-01 13:41   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2006-02-01 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: reader, ding

* Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

    > Anyway, assuming you can fire up viewers via the cygwin shell, the
    > easy solution is to start damn near all attachments with the
    > cygstart command, which will detect the file type (probably using
    > the extension) and start the right program for it.

Reading this a long time after. So Cygwin provides 'cygstart' ... in
what is it different from the 'start' command available from the command
line under Windows ? In fact, from the command line, you can even
specify :

c:\>foo.jpg

and your default viewer is lauched automagically.

For my self, using gnus under windows for eons, I have hacked this variable for a long time :

(setq mailcap-mime-data
      `(("application"
 	 ("vnd.ms-excel"
 	  (viewer . "\"%s\"")
 	  (type . "application/vnd.ms-excel"))
 	 ("msword"
 	  (viewer . "\"%s\"")
 	  (type . "application/msword"))
 	 ("pdf"
 	  (viewer . "\"%s\"")
 	  (type . "application/pdf"))
 	 ("zip"
 	  (viewer . "\"%s\"")
 	  (type   . "application/zip"))
 	 ;; Prefer free viewers.
 	 ("pdf"
 	  (viewer . "\"%s\"")
 	  (type . "application/pdf"))
)))

Best,

--
Fabrice Popineau
------------------------

* Re: Image view on winxp
@ 2006-02-02  3:28     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-02-02  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: reader, ding

> * Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>> Anyway, assuming you can fire up viewers via the cygwin shell, the
>> easy solution is to start damn near all attachments with the
>> cygstart command, which will detect the file type (probably using
>> the extension) and start the right program for it.

> Reading this a long time after. So Cygwin provides 'cygstart' ... in
> what is it different from the 'start' command available from the command
> line under Windows ?

I'm no windows expert, but as I understand it, the start command in
the CMD window is built in to the windows shell and is therefore not
accessible to cygwin programs.  cygstart is the replacement.  I use a
cygwin compiled XEmacs and so need to use cygstart to fire up
applications.  Whether that applies to the OP, I do not know.  It did
not occur to me at the time.  Thanks for pointing it out.