* A Question concerning filtering spam...
@ 1997-04-15 19:12 Edvard Majakari
From: Edvard Majakari @ 1997-04-15 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings again

I've found out that most - almost all - spams I receive don't have
To-field. I couldn't figure it out, however, how I kill an article
lacking to-field? Moreover, how do I kill it as I've excluded
all.SCORE file from nnml:all.SCORE? By adding rule after that
exclusion?

These spams have become a real annoyance :(

--
//Ed                                     http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/

in hoc cognoscent omnes quia mei discipuli estis si dilectionem
 habueritis ad invicem
 -- John 13:35

* Re: A Question concerning filtering spam...
@ 1997-04-15 20:16 ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> I've found out that most - almost all - spams I receive don't have
> To-field. I couldn't figure it out, however, how I kill an article
> lacking to-field? Moreover, how do I kill it as I've excluded
> all.SCORE file from nnml:all.SCORE? By adding rule after that
> exclusion?

Have you seen the "Thwarting Email Spam" section of the Gnus manual?
(http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus.html) - It has a piece about
dealing with spam that doesn't include your email address explicitly
in the To header by using a fancy split rule.

--
Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com

* Re: A Question concerning filtering spam...
@ 1997-04-16 10:33   ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1997-04-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:

> Have you seen the "Thwarting Email Spam" section of the Gnus manual?
> (http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus.html) - It has a piece about
> dealing with spam that doesn't include your email address explicitly
> in the To header by using a fancy split rule.

I do it like this:

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| ("newsgroups" ".*" "news.posted")
	  ("to\\|cc" "\\(root\\|Postmaster\\|postmaster\\|mailer-daemon\\)@\\(www\\)" "mail.root")
	  ("subject" "output from .cron. command" (| ("subject"
						      "re\\|fwd" "mail.misc")
						     "mail.cron"))
	  ("to\\|cc" "ding" "mail.lists.ding")
	  ("to\\|cc" "adm-drift" "mail.sol.drift")
	  ("to\\|cc" "4ad" "mail.lists.4ad")
	  ("to\\|cc" "WWW-SECURITY" "mail.lists.www-security")
	  ("to\\|cc" "culture-time" "mail.lists.culture-time")
	  ("to\\|cc" "bofh" "mail.bofh")
	  [lots deleted]
	  ("from" "webspawner.com" "mail.void")
	  ("to" ".+" "mail.misc")
	  "mail.void"))

Anything that hasn't already been split, but contains a To: filed goes
to mail.misc. Things with nae To: at all goes to mail.void. Has proven
very useful.

--
Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no>
In my CD-player now: Pavement / Brighten the Corners