* Re: OffGnus
@ 1997-01-23  5:14 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1997-01-23  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> writes:
>> LMI> No -- nnagent will always download all the headers.  It's only the
>> LMI> article bodies that are interesting to decide whether should be
>> LMI> fetched or not.
>>
>> You misunderstand.  If I score an article low based on how many lines it
>> contains, it will not appear in the summary buffer where I want it to

> I must be misunderstanding something basic here, because you and I
> seem to be saying the same things here.  Only we're disagreeing.  :-)

> 2) Uses a scoring scheme to say what articles to download, and
>    also downloads articles that have been manually marked for
>    download, no matter what their scores are.

The way I'm seeing this whole arguement is this:

Lars is saying that headers will be `scored' to determine if the article
will be auto-downloaded.

Rich is fearing that this means that the scoring to determine whether to
show an article in the summary will be affected by lowering the
auto-download score for articles that are too big, which could push
articles scores low enough that they are not displayed.

As long as the display scores affect the auto-download scores, and not
vice-versa, I don't see any problem with using scoring to determine
auto-downloadablity.  If the auto-download scores affect the summary
display scores one could well end up with problems . . .

hope this helps,
	Suika
--
		wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
      No matter how big a pair she's got, an enemy is an enemy.

* OffGnus
@ 1997-01-16  1:10 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

It was suggested that it might be nice to be able to read news
"offline" with Gnus.  Currently, we three ways of reading news (and
mail) on a machine that's not really connected to the net:

1)  inn+suck (or whatever) and pop.  That is, we set things up
properly and let other programs deal with how to shuffle things
to/from the net.

2)  Using the cache.  This doesn't really work as well as it should,
since Gnus insists on trying to connect to the real server even most
of the articles are present in the cache.

3)  nnsoup.  Using soup is quite fiddly, but it basically seems to
work.  Shuffling the packages from/to the net is a pain, though.

Yesterday I had someone give me a demonstration of (Free) Agent.
While I didn't really like it very much, it seems to have a quite nice
approach to "offline"-ness.  It basically fetches all the headers to
the groups, and then you can manually say which article bodies to
fetch, or have the newsreader fetch things automatically.  Not very
advanced, but it seems to be quite nice.

So -- I propose writing a new backend for Gnus provide similar
functionality.  I don't know what to call it (nnoff?  nnoffline?  I
don't really like the word "offline".), but I'm sure that someone will
come up with a good name.  Right?

Describing what the backend should do seems kinda difficult, so
perhaps I should just write it instead.  :-)  It has to know how to
get news from the "real" server, and it has to store headers and
article bodies locally.  (I originally thought I could just use the
cache for this, but it would complicate things.)  Like the mail
backends, it has to be able to expire old news, and it has to be able
to heed Supersedes/Cancel (if wanted).  I'm wondering whether to use
some database thingie, or to just use active/nov things, like in the
cache.  There has to be a special "outbox" where outgoing news is
stored, and people should be able to edit/not send things in the
outbox.  (Perhaps nndraft should make a comeback?)

To control which articles to automatically fetch from which groups
(using scoring, etc) we can use group/topic parameters.

Uhm, ah...  Even though this won't be trivial, I don't think it will
be all that much work.  And I think it will be useful.  As more and
more people move to modem-connected Linux/Windoze boxes, "offline"
newsreaders get more useful, not less...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen