* w3 or gnus is slow when unplugged and text/html?
@ 1998-12-02 18:50 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-12-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I'm unplugged (I don't know about plugged, but I suspect its
better) reading a htmlized message (ick) takes like 5-10 seconds on my
233 P-II (way too long) to display the article.  It appears its
hanging on something?  Ideas?  (I could profile it I suppose)

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: w3 or gnus is slow when unplugged and text/html?
@ 1998-12-02 19:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> When I'm unplugged (I don't know about plugged, but I suspect its
> better) reading a htmlized message (ick) takes like 5-10 seconds on my
> 233 P-II (way too long) to display the article.  It appears its
> hanging on something?  Ideas?  (I could profile it I suppose)

Some versions of Gnus had `url-standalone-mode' not bound, which might
explain a timeout, but I think this is more about Gnus' initialization
of w3, which took quite a while.  0.59 only initializes w3 once, which
is much nicer.

* Re: w3 or gnus is slow when unplugged and text/html?
@ 1998-12-02 21:09   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-12-02 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Some versions of Gnus had `url-standalone-mode' not bound, which
Lars> might explain a timeout, but I think this is more about Gnus'
Lars> initialization of w3, which took quite a while.  0.59 only
Lars> initializes w3 once, which is much nicer.

Probably the latter.  It was just as slow in plugged mode I found out later.
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."