* smileys on fsf emacs
@ 1996-06-27  3:42 Greg Stark
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-06-27  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, it should be possible to make a font containing each of the smileys and
use that font to show smileys on the FSF Emacs. The only limitation would be
the multicolourness of some of the smileys. But i can imagine somebody might
be able to hack something using font metrics, zero width characters, and two
character glyphs... Besides, most of them would do ok with just a foreground
and background colour and this would have the benefit of scaling up to match
the size font being used in the document.

I don't know enough about X fonts to do this myself,
but i might start experimenting if no one else does.

greg

PS I know RMS doesn't like the term ``FSF Emacs''
   but i can't imagine what else to call it.

* 'FSF Emacs'
@ 1996-06-27 13:50 ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-27 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ When eating out, think nothing of sending
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ back your meal twenty or thirty times. -A

* Re: smileys on fsf emacs
@ 1996-06-27 14:13 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-06-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark writes:

> [ long explanation of how to hack FSF Emacs to do smileys (a simple
>   process under XEmacs) ]

> PS I know RMS doesn't like the term ``FSF Emacs''
>    but i can't imagine what else to call it.

How about obsolete?

--
Colin

* Re: smileys on fsf emacs
@ 1996-06-27 14:46 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-06-27 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Greg Stark writes:

>Hmm, it should be possible to make a font containing each of the smileys
>and use that font to show smileys on the FSF Emacs. The only limitation
>would be the multicolourness of some of the smileys. But i can imagine
>somebody might be able to hack something using font metrics, zero width
>characters, and two character glyphs... Besides, most of them would do ok
>with just a foreground and background colour and this would have the
>benefit of scaling up to match the size font being used in the document.
>
>I don't know enough about X fonts to do this myself, but i might start
>experimenting if no one else does.

  This would be really cool, although I know probably less than you do
about creating an X font.  I can wax poetic about how stupid the whole font
model under X is though. :)

>PS: I know RMS doesn't like the term ``FSF Emacs'' but i can't imagine
>what else to call it.

  Give him full credit, like he wants with Linux/GNU Linux/lignux: eRMSmacs :)

-bill P.

* Re: 'FSF Emacs'
@ 1996-06-27 14:58     ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Always give generously - a small bird or
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ rodent left on the bed tells them, "I

* Re: 'FSF Emacs'
@ 1996-06-27 15:01   ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-06-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Richard Pieri writes:

>GS> PS I know RMS doesn't like the term ``FSF Emacs''
>GS>    but i can't imagine what else to call it.
>
>How about "GNU Emacs".  While XEmacs is technically also "GNU Emacs",
>nobody but RMS calls it that.  Thus, no confusion; "GNU Emacs" is code
>distributed by the FSF, XEmacs is the "other" flavor :).

  The official word is:

GNU Emacs == generic branding - XEmacs and Emacs both apply
    Emacs == that version of emacs maintained by RMS and dist. by FSF/GNU
   XEmacs == the cool wizzy one :)
   xemacs == a horrible typo that will cause you to be shot
   Xemacs == a horrible typo that will cause you to be shot

  From the words of RMS hisself from all the flamewars on the xemacs-beta
list and private email.  Wheee fun.

-Bill P.