* md5 license problems
@ 1996-08-30  8:02 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-30  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

pop3.el uses md5.el, and I've included both in the Red Gnus
distribution.  However, md5 can never be included in Emacs:

--------------------
;; The original copyright notice is given below, as required by the
;; licence for the original code.  This code is distributed under *both*
;; RSA's original licence and the GNU General Public Licence.  (There
;; should be no problems, as the former is more liberal than the
;; latter).
--------------------

Which is wrong:

;;; Original copyright notice: ------------------------------------------------

;; Copyright (C) 1990, RSA Data Security, Inc. All rights reserved.
;;
;; License to copy and use this software is granted provided that it is
;; identified as the "RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message- Digest
;; Algorithm" in all material mentioning or referencing this software or
;; this function.
;;
;; License is also granted to make and use derivative works provided
;; that such works are identified as "derived from the RSA Data
;; Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm" in all material
;; mentioning or referencing the derived work.
;;
;; RSA Data Security, Inc. makes no representations concerning either
;; the merchantability of this software or the suitability of this
;; software for any particular purpose.  It is provided "as is" without
;; express or implied warranty of any kind.
;;
;; These notices must be retained in any copies of any part of this
;; documentation and/or software.

There are three restrictions that are in conflict with the GPL: The
requirement that it should be identified in a certain way; the
requirement that derived works should be indentified in a certain way;
and the requirement that the notices must be retained.  The GPL
forbids any restrictions not included in the GPL itself, so we have a
license conflict here.

I'm sure RSA meant to be as nice as possible, but with the RSA license
as it stands, md5.el can't be included in Emacs.  (It would make Emacs
un-free.)

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-08-31  4:19 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-08-31  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>pop3.el uses md5.el, and I've included both in the Red Gnus
>distribution.  However, md5 can never be included in Emacs:
[...]
>There are three restrictions that are in conflict with the GPL: The
>requirement that it should be identified in a certain way; the requirement
>that derived works should be indentified in a certain way; and the
>requirement that the notices must be retained.  The GPL forbids any
>restrictions not included in the GPL itself, so we have a license conflict
>here.
>
>I'm sure RSA meant to be as nice as possible, but with the RSA license as
>it stands, md5.el can't be included in Emacs.  (It would make Emacs
>un-free.)

  Well, there is the ability to just rip out the md5 lisp code, and rely on
'md5' being an external program.  Then point people at either the md5 rfc
for sample code, or the elisp archive or w3 for the md5 lisp code.

-Bill P.

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-02  2:09   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-02  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Perry <wmperry@aventail.com> writes:

>   Well, there is the ability to just rip out the md5 lisp code, and rely on
> 'md5' being an external program.  Then point people at either the md5 rfc
> for sample code, or the elisp archive or w3 for the md5 lisp code.

Yes, that would be a possibility.  Richard, do you want to do that?
You could just include the external-md5 thingies from md5.el in
pop3.el or something?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-03 14:02     ` Richard Pieri
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-09-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Curiosity never killed anything, except
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ maybe a few hours. -A cat's guide to life

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-03 21:46       ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 1996-09-03 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

There's a free (and probably fastest) implementation of MD5 written
by Ulrich Drepper in the GNU textutils-1.19 distribution: lib/md5.[ch].

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-03 23:38       ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-09-03 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

There are *other* implementations of md5 that are not derived from the
RSA code, and thus do not need to carry the license.  Thus, a GPL'ed
one should be possible.

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-04  3:56       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-04  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

> I think you and William are talking about two different things, here.
> Based on the RSA licence, regardless of the form it takes, any
> implementation of MD5 based on the RSA C source or derivatives of it
> must have the notice that it is derived from RSA code.  So pop3.el would
> need to carry the RSA licence, which defeats the purpose.

No -- pop3 could have hooks to run the text through an *external*
(non-lisp) md5 process.  That would bypass the RSA licence.

@ 1996-09-04 13:50         ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-09-04 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ If you're not receiving enough attention,
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ try knocking over some very expensive

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-04 14:10         ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-09-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1996-09-04 18:40         ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-09-04 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:
>
> > I think you and William are talking about two different things, here.
> > Based on the RSA licence, regardless of the form it takes, any
> > implementation of MD5 based on the RSA C source or derivatives of it
> > must have the notice that it is derived from RSA code.  So pop3.el would
> > need to carry the RSA licence, which defeats the purpose.
>
> No -- pop3 could have hooks to run the text through an *external*
> (non-lisp) md5 process.  That would bypass the RSA licence.

  Correct, which is exactly what the md5.el program in older versions of
Emacs-W3 did, before I merged in the code to do md5 internally.  Perhaps
someone would like to volunteer to convert the md5 code from textutils
into lisp, so we won't have this problem?

-Bill P.

* Re: md5 license problems
@ 1996-09-04 23:36           ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-09-04 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)