* email (manual description) and MIME (lack thereof)
@ 1998-03-24 22:23 Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1998-03-24 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've finally moved over to using gnus for reading mail.  (I was using
exmh, for what it's worth.)

It seems to work very well---the obvious enormous hole is MIME.
(exmh's MIME reading is pretty good, and it supplies at least some
MIME composing, although it's pretty basic.  Gnus could do *much*
better.)

One thing that wasn't entirely clear in the manual (for 5.6.3, the
most recent Gnus) is that in order to get auto expiring together with
keeping some messages, you tick the messages you want to keep.

I know it's kind of there, and it's in the FAQ; I think it ought to be
as obvious in the manual.

* Re: email (manual description) and MIME (lack thereof)
@ 1998-03-25  7:17 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-03-25  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It seems to work very well---the obvious enormous hole is MIME.
> (exmh's MIME reading is pretty good, and it supplies at least some
> MIME composing, although it's pretty basic.  Gnus could do *much*
> better.)

I belive built-in MIME support is on the todo-list for the next
development cycle.  In the meantime, maybe some of this will help you:
	<URL:http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~trey/emacs/mime.html>

Personally I'm running TM with Gnus 5.6.3 on GNU Emacs 19.34, and it
gives me pretty good MIME support (if I had been running XEmacs, I
would have seen attached GIFs and JPEGs inline in the message.  I
tried that back with XEmacs 19.16 (I think), but it was too slow for
me).

- Steinar

* Re: email (manual description) and MIME (lack thereof)
@ 1998-03-25 16:33   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-03-25 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar> (if I had been running XEmacs, I would have seen attached
Steinar> GIFs and JPEGs inline in the message.  I tried that back with
Steinar> XEmacs 19.16 (I think), but it was too slow for me).

You might try 20.4, it is much much faster than the 19.x line (no-mule).

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."