* Mail-Followup-To
@ 1998-02-10 19:21 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-10 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think Gnus should support
<URL:ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/replyto.html>.  What do
y'all think?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Mail-Followup-To
@ 1998-02-10 19:37   ` Stephen Zander
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-02-10 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> I think Gnus should support
> <URL:ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/replyto.html>.  What do
> y'all think?

I like it!

--
Stephen
---

* Re: Mail-Followup-To
@ 1998-02-10 20:42   ` Richard Coleman
       [not found]   ` <x7soprkz6f.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Richard Coleman @ 1998-02-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think Gnus should support
> <URL:ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/replyto.html>.  What do
> y'all think?
>
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Just as another data point, I'm also supporting this proposal
in the mail client nmh (a successor to MH).  I hear that mutt
and possibly Eudora also are supporting it.

nmh web site is:
http://www.math.gatech.edu/nmh/

--
Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu

* Re: Mail-Followup-To
       [not found]   ` <x7soprkz6f.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
       [not found]       ` <x77m73kvav.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Yes, RFC 822 did not make a distinction between reply-to-author and
> reply-to-list.  These are aspects of the mail client, not the message
> format.  To a well-written MUA, these headers are redundant; the client
> already makes the appropriate distinction.  A badly written MUA, one that
> does not make the distinction, is not going to honor these headers.

Yup.  But there are useful things that can be done with these
headers.  For instance -- on mailing lists where everyone that posts
is assumed to be subscribed (like this one), the listserv could add a
sender as a way to signal "I am subscribed to the list; don't Cc me or
anybody else".

* Re: Mail-Followup-To
@ 1998-02-10 21:25       ` Richard Coleman
       [not found]       ` <x77m73kvav.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Richard Coleman @ 1998-02-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Yes, RFC 822 did not make a distinction between reply-to-author and
> > reply-to-list.  These are aspects of the mail client, not the message
> > format.  To a well-written MUA, these headers are redundant; the client
> > already makes the appropriate distinction.  A badly written MUA, one that
> > does not make the distinction, is not going to honor these headers.
>
> Yup.  But there are useful things that can be done with these
> headers.  For instance -- on mailing lists where everyone that posts
> is assumed to be subscribed (like this one), the listserv could add a
> sender as a way to signal "I am subscribed to the list; don't Cc me or
> anybody else".

I think the proposal specifically says that mailing list managers
should NOT add this header.

A better scenario is that Gnus have a variable such as
mailing-list-addresses.  When you send a message, it compares the
address to all the addresses in this list, and adds the
"Mail-Followup-To" header if there is a match.

That way, group replies (assuming mail client that is replying
understands this header) would go back to the mailing list.

--

@ 1998-02-10 23:22         ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-02-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Given the premise that a mailing list manager should not set a Reply-To
> header, the lack of such a header means just that.  The existance of
> Reply-To means, "send the mail here instead of to the list".

Um, no.

The existence of a Reply-To: means, "IF you reply to me, send it to
this address instead of the one in the From: header."

It in no way makes a suggestion or mandate regarding someone's
decision whether to followup or to reply.

In a usenet post, the Followup-To: header has a meaning similar to
that which you suggest if its contents are "poster".  However, this is
completely orthogonal to usage of Reply-to: headers.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-11 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> The proposed standard specifically states that a list manager should *NOT*
> do this.

Oops.  I missed that.

* Re: Mail-Followup-To
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <x7soprkz6f.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1998-02-11 21:48   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-11 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

To add to the discussion, here is an argument against Mail-Followup-To
from Keith Moore that appeared on the nmh list today.