* Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-06 16:58 Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-06 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntemac-users

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ When in doubt, cop an attitude. -A cat's
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ guide to life
http://www.dfci.harvard.edu/         \

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-09  5:17                 ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 1996-06-09  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

    RS> I run EMACS under OS/2, using both rmail and nnbabyl to read babyl
    RS> format mail every day. I use movemail (which comes with the OS/2
    RS> EMACS port) to move mail from the spool file to my rmail file, and
    RS> never have any trouble at all.

    RP> Why do you not have the same problems?  Because you are running a
    RP> completely different operating system, is why.

Maybe I could have read the original message a little more closely...

    RP> Second problem: end of line characters on a FAT file system are
    RP> different from Unix (and I suspect OS/2), and this causes the regular
    RP> expressions in Gnus (and who knows what else) to fail miserably.

OS/2 end of line is exactly the same as DOS - CRLF rather than the UNIX
LF. That's why I was surprised you had these problems when I didn't.

Maybe you could recompile/use the movemail that comes with the OS/2
EMACS port.

Richard Stanton

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-09  4:09               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-09  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

> system-type for ntemacs (GNU Emacs for Windows 95/NT) is 'windows-nt'.

Ok, I've now added CR stripping to the movemail action when running
under `windows-nt'.

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-08 12:32             ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-08 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Never sleep alone when you can sleep on
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ someone's face. -A cat's guide to life

@ 1996-06-08 12:30               ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1996-06-07 20:41             ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 1996-06-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> Here's a quick hack hook fix; maybe this can be rolled into the actual
    >> nnmail code?

[...]

    Lars> This seems nice; I could add this to that hook by default when running
    Lars> under systems that need it.  What `system-type's would that be?  `emx'
    Lars> (os/2) and, uhm, win95/nt?  What are the `system-type's for those
    Lars> systems?

I'm confused.

I run EMACS under OS/2, using both rmail and nnbabyl to read babyl
format mail every day. I use movemail (which comes with the OS/2 EMACS
port) to move mail from the spool file to my rmail file, and never
have any trouble at all.

Why don't I have the same problems? One possible thing is that on my
system movemail gets mail from a LOCAL spool file, rather than from
the POP host. The POP retrieval is done by another program (poppoll),
which dumps the mail into the local spool file.

Richard Stanton

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-07 19:18           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-07 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

> Here's a quick hack hook fix; maybe this can be rolled into the actual
> nnmail code?
>
> (add-hook 'nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook 'rat:nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook)
> (defun rat:nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook ()
>   "Strip ^M end of line characters from incoming mail file just before splitting."
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (while (re-search-forward "\015$" nil t)
>     (delete-backward-char 1)))

This seems nice; I could add this to that hook by default when running
under systems that need it.  What `system-type's would that be?  `emx'
(os/2) and, uhm, win95/nt?  What are the `system-type's for those
systems?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-07 18:20         ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1996-06-07 16:46       ` michael lamoureux
From: michael lamoureux @ 1996-06-07 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 "richard" == Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

LMI> nnmail in 5.2 parses babyl as well as Unix mbox and MMDF.

richard> Hmmm... not the incoming (babyl) mail file created by
richard> movemail (when it pulls a mail file off a POP3 server).

Works for me about once every 15-30 minutes, 8-9 hours a day (however
often that adds up to be).  I've never had a problem [Solaris 2.4 POP
server, Solaris 2.4 client, XEmacs 19.13, sgnus .80+ & Gnus 5.2.6]

fyi,
Michael

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-07 16:00     ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Climb your way to the top; that's why the
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ drapes are there. -A cat's guide to life

@ 1996-06-07 15:46     ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Variety is the spice of life: one day
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ ignore people, the next day annoy

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-07  3:10     ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-07  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ When you go out in the world, remember:
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ being placed on a pedestal is a right,

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
@ 1996-06-06 21:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-06-06 20:22   ` Andrew Innes
From: Andrew Innes @ 1996-06-06 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntemacs-users, ding

On 06 Jun 1996 15:57:25 -0400, Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> said:

AI>movemail only reads your inbox (only via POP3 on NT/Win95)
>
>That would do it, then.  Gnus relies on movemail to safely copy the
>inbox to a work file before deleting the inbox.  One workaround is to
>use another program when trying to read from a local spool (the mv
>program in the unix95 archive seems to work; the MS-DOS MOVE.EXE does
>not).  If you are doing this on a "live" filesystem, one that an SMTP
>daemon can write to, do not do this, you could loose mail.

Yup - movemail has the ability to read directly from a mail spool file
as well, with all the proper locking code.  However, this method is
disabled on NT/Win95 precisely because Samba (widely used free software
that lets Windows machines access Unix disks over the network) doesn't
appear to implement the necessary locking calls.

>However, I have now discovered another problem with the ntemacs
>movemail: it converts the incoming mail file (from the POP3 server) to a
>Babyl file, which is a big pain in the behind since Gnus is not geared
>to parse a non-Unix (or MMDF) mail file.  Is this the normal behavior
>for movemail?  Is there any way to disable it (I can't find anything in
>the primary Emacs distribution sources that shows how)?  Or is there a
>replacement for movemail that does not act so -- IMO -- brain-damaged?

Yes, movemail is hard-coded to write the output file in Babyl format,
although it could easily be modified and recompiled to output in a
different format (make sure you call it something other than movemail if
you do that, to avoid confusion).

Curiously, movemail only does this conversion when reading from a POP3
server - when reading a mail spool file directly, it just makes a
verbatim copy.

I'm sure Gnus could be made to borrow some of RMAIL's functions for
parsing Babyl files, if necessary, but modifying movemail itself would
be far simpler.

AndrewI

* Re: Gnus v5.2 and GNU Emacs 19.31 Win32
       [not found] <199606061734.SAA14372@propos.long.harlequin.co.uk>
@ 1996-06-06 19:57 ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-06 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)