* I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-17 23:41 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252, Size: 2826 bytes --]

Below is a news article I just tried to send using Gnus about the problems I too
am having with nnimap-request-move-article.

However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't post to
gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!  I've tried several times, the last time
was weeks ago, and now I've had enough!  My posts simply dissapear into the
ether.  Nothing comes back, and nothing arrives.  They just vanish.  I can post
prefectly well to other Gmane newsgroups so I can't begin to imagine what the
problem is.

Why do Gnus and Gmane hate me?  At least Thunderbird is my friend...

sdt

From: Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
Subject: Re: nnimap: nnimap-request-move-article does not delete the original
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:09:14 +0000
--text follows this line--
Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> wrote:

> Andreas Vögele writes:
>
>   Andreas> When moving a message from one IMAP folder to another folder the
>   Andreas> message is copied but the original message isn't deleted.
>
> I have been suffering the exact problem.  It seems to happen if agent is
> enabled (which is the default in Gnus).

I too have been suffering the same for some months now, (as well as a
number of other bugs).  This was discussed not so long ago and the
advice then was to set gnus-fetch-old-headers to nil and disable
agent.  I did both of these, as well as setting gnus-nov-is-evil to t,
emptying my gnus-directory and starting from scratch... and the
problem still persists, though strangely, not _all_ the time, which is
almost worse.I've been trying to pin down when it does and deosn't fail, but
without any success.

One thing I have noticed recently is that if I happen to read a new
mail in Thunderbird, (usually while I'm cleaning up after Gnus, i.e.,
deleting articles that haven't been deleted and removing duplicates
because I've moved a message twice), then there's no way I can
retrieve that mail with Gnus, even if I mark it as unread in
Thunderbird.

The other bugs I'm experiencing are dropped connections which I
suspect affects article marks at times, and wildy exagerated article
counts.  For instance Gnus tells me I have 4000 odd messages in my
INBOX whereas in fact I have twelve!

All in all, I'm afraid to say that Gnus' IMAP support is verging on
unusable, which saddens me.  I wish I knew enough/had the time to help
fix things.

sdt

--
(gnus-version)
"No Gnus v0.4"

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-18 12:06 ` Hynek Schlawack
From: Hynek Schlawack @ 2006-01-18 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't post to
> gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!

If it makes you feel any better, my posting from mid-December 2005
hasn't arrived yet too. I'm using the mail interface since then but I
don't see any reasons to use Thunderbird because of this. ;)

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-19 12:21   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-19 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hynek Schlawack <hynek@ularx.de> wrote:

> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't post to
>> gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!
>
> If it makes you feel any better, my posting from mid-December 2005
> hasn't arrived yet too. I'm using the mail interface since then but I
> don't see any reasons to use Thunderbird because of this. ;)

Hmm, yes that does make me feel a little better.  At least I know it's
not personal ;-)

sdt

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate
@ 2006-01-19 17:08     ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2006-01-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

ST> Hmm, yes that does make me feel a little better.  At least I know
ST> it's not personal ;-)

Not personal at all.  Since people who post from Gmane don't subscribe
to the mailing list, I have to moderate their posts (once, just to get
their address into the "allowed posters" database).  Due to the
concerted efforts of all the world's spammers, the moderation queue is
often rather long and occasionally I miss a message.  Sorry.  You can
always just ping me if you think I have missed something.

 - J<

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate
@ 2006-01-19 18:13       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> ST> Hmm, yes that does make me feel a little better.  At least I know
> ST> it's not personal ;-)
>
> Not personal at all.  Since people who post from Gmane don't subscribe
> to the mailing list, I have to moderate their posts (once, just to get
> their address into the "allowed posters" database).  Due to the
> concerted efforts of all the world's spammers, the moderation queue is
> often rather long and occasionally I miss a message.  Sorry.  You can
> always just ping me if you think I have missed something.

I thought this was usually handled by the "friendly Gmane
Auto-authoriser"?

sdt

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate
@ 2006-01-19 18:43         ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-19 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:

>> ST> Hmm, yes that does make me feel a little better.  At least I know
>> ST> it's not personal ;-)
>>
>> Not personal at all.  Since people who post from Gmane don't subscribe
>> to the mailing list, I have to moderate their posts (once, just to get
>> their address into the "allowed posters" database).  Due to the
>> concerted efforts of all the world's spammers, the moderation queue is
>> often rather long and occasionally I miss a message.  Sorry.  You can
>> always just ping me if you think I have missed something.

> I thought this was usually handled by the "friendly Gmane
> Auto-authoriser"?

...and I was about to add, thanks for the explanation anyhow.

sdt

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate
@ 2006-01-20  6:27         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-01-20  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought this was usually handled by the "friendly Gmane
> Auto-authoriser"?

He's the _mailing_ _list_ admin, not a gmane admin (though he may be
one, when wearing a different hat, for all I know).

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-20 14:09 ` John A. Martin
From: John A. Martin @ 2006-01-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Sebastian> However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't
    Sebastian> post to gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!

If you see this (followup to Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general) it
works for me just like a bunch of other groups.  I subscribe to the
list then tell the list not to send me mail, or if the list is
incapable of doing that, I just /dev/null it.  The latter however is
of course not good and should be fixed by the list IMHO.  Depending on
the list, you may need to respond to a probe from gmane the first time
you post to the gmane group.

HTH

        jam

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 154 bytes --]

* Re: I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-20 21:11   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John A. Martin" <jam@jamux.com> wrote:

>     Sebastian> However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't
>     Sebastian> post to gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!
>
> If you see this (followup to Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general) it
> works for me just like a bunch of other groups.  I subscribe to the
> list then tell the list not to send me mail, or if the list is
> incapable of doing that, I just /dev/null it.  The latter however is
> of course not good and should be fixed by the list IMHO.  Depending on
> the list, you may need to respond to a probe from gmane the first time
> you post to the gmane group.

Thanks for all your comments.  I can post to the Gnus list fine now
(via Gmane, and using Gnus) so the problem is solved.  However, it
took several weeks before I was added to the database of authorised
posters and because I had come to expect a Gmane Auto-authoriser
message when posting to mailing lists gatewayed through Gmane I
thought something was amiss.

It never occurred to me that list might be moderated by a non-silicon
based lifeform.

sdt