* I want to post to this group using Gnus but Gnus and Gmane hate me!
@ 2006-01-17 23:41 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-01-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252, Size: 2826 bytes --]

Below is a news article I just tried to send using Gnus about the problems I too
am having with nnimap-request-move-article.

However, perhaps the biggest bug of all is that I can't post to
gmane.emacs.gnus.general using Gnus!!!  I've tried several times, the last time
was weeks ago, and now I've had enough!  My posts simply dissapear into the
ether.  Nothing comes back, and nothing arrives.  They just vanish.  I can post
prefectly well to other Gmane newsgroups so I can't begin to imagine what the
problem is.

Why do Gnus and Gmane hate me?  At least Thunderbird is my friend...

sdt

From: Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
Subject: Re: nnimap: nnimap-request-move-article does not delete the original
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:09:14 +0000
--text follows this line--
Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> wrote:

> Andreas Vögele writes:
>
>   Andreas> When moving a message from one IMAP folder to another folder the
>   Andreas> message is copied but the original message isn't deleted.
>
> I have been suffering the exact problem.  It seems to happen if agent is
> enabled (which is the default in Gnus).

I too have been suffering the same for some months now, (as well as a
number of other bugs).  This was discussed not so long ago and the
advice then was to set gnus-fetch-old-headers to nil and disable
agent.  I did both of these, as well as setting gnus-nov-is-evil to t,
emptying my gnus-directory and starting from scratch... and the
problem still persists, though strangely, not _all_ the time, which is
almost worse.I've been trying to pin down when it does and deosn't fail, but
without any success.

One thing I have noticed recently is that if I happen to read a new
mail in Thunderbird, (usually while I'm cleaning up after Gnus, i.e.,
deleting articles that haven't been deleted and removing duplicates
because I've moved a message twice), then there's no way I can
retrieve that mail with Gnus, even if I mark it as unread in
Thunderbird.

The other bugs I'm experiencing are dropped connections which I
suspect affects article marks at times, and wildy exagerated article
counts.  For instance Gnus tells me I have 4000 odd messages in my
INBOX whereas in fact I have twelve!

All in all, I'm afraid to say that Gnus' IMAP support is verging on
unusable, which saddens me.  I wish I knew enough/had the time to help
fix things.

sdt

--
(gnus-version)