* [basic] How to run as more than one user conveintly
@ 2006-01-07  3:18 reader
From: reader @ 2006-01-07  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm supposed to know this I'm sure as a user of quite a few years
now. (quassia 16) But I'm just getting a very blank empty skull trying
to think how this is done nicely.

My regular email reader@newsguy.com has become so horribly inundated
with spam after some 10 yrs of open internet exposure that all my
filtering including procmail prefilters with SpamAssassin then
bogofilter followup, on my end and even some filters on newsguys
server end cannot keep up with this mess.

As a non-business single user I get over 150 spams per day....

But cutting to the chase since I'm not posting for solutions to that..

I've opened a new email account that is blessedly low on spam starting
out but want to know how to run both accounts from one gnus with some
automation. I need this low-spam account to deal with a mission I have
at hand where I don't want to possibly miss something important or
spend time checking spam traps etc for something that should be handy.

Using current ntemacs but cygwin fetchmail/procmail.

I'm currently mobile and using winxp (against my will..).  I have the
basic setup in place using smtp send and fetchmail incoming but how to
manage both accounts so that the right stuff gets set automatically
for either user?  Is it normally done with `group params'?  If so can
I find examples somewhere?

In my case both users are with newsguy and share a password so it
should be somewhat simpler  I guess.

* Re: [basic] How to run as more than one user conveintly
@ 2006-01-07  3:45 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-01-07  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Is the problem with reading the two different mail accounts, or being
able to send under a particular one depending on what you're reading?
If the latter, posting-styles is your friend.

Here's an example cut out from what I use at work.  Some friends send
email to my work address rather than home as I'd prefer.  I have sieve
recognize that and filter them into one of a couple of groups with
"personal" in the name.  When I'm reading those groups, the below
causes my From to show up as my personal address rather than the work
one (along with a few other changes).

(setq gnus-posting-styles `((".*"
                             (address ,dsg-work-address)
                             (signature-file "~/.signature"))
                            ("^.*:.*personal.*"
                             (address ,dsg-personal-address)
                             (organization "I Yam What I Yam")
                             ("Bcc" ,dsg-personal-address)
                             ("Gcc" nil)
                             (signature-file "~/.signature-personal")))

hth,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: [basic] How to run as more than one user conveintly
@ 2006-01-07  4:35   ` reader
From: reader @ 2006-01-07  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Is the problem with reading the two different mail accounts, or being
> able to send under a particular one depending on what you're reading?
> If the latter, posting-styles is your friend.

The latter, and your example looks like just the ticket.

I could use some designator for a whole string of groups for each
account then when answering from designated groups my address would be
set accordingly... nice.

Another facet though is the keeping of sent mail.  Up to now I've just
used:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
    '((let ((current-archive-date-string
      (format-time-string "%m%y" (current-time))))
      (concat (if (message-news-p)
         "nnml:news-"
         "nnml:mail-")
         current-archive-date-string))))

I'd like to now use something similar but for each account.

* Re: [basic] How to run as more than one user conveintly
@ 2006-01-07 16:13     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-01-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I've never used gnus-message-archive-group.  By default, I have the
gcc-self group parameter set to t.  In groups that I don't want to
save a copy (such as mailing lists which send me a copy) I explicitly
set the gcc header to nil via posting styles.