* problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-06-16 10:51 joakim
From: joakim @ 2006-06-16 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded gnus, and now the rss feed from slashdot get new
copies everytime i update the group. Any hints?
--
Joakim Verona
http://www.verona.se

* Re: problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-06-21 15:15 ` Mark Plaksin
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2006-06-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I recently upgraded gnus, and now the rss feed from slashdot get new
> copies everytime i update the group. Any hints?

I have this problem with CVS Gnus in nearly all of my nnrss groups.  It
started some time in the past 2 or 3 weeks.  Haven't had a chance to debug
it yet.

* Re: problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-08-07 10:44 ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2006-08-07 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I recently upgraded gnus, and now the rss feed from slashdot get new
> copies everytime i update the group. Any hints?

This problem remains. Is there anything I can do to help debug it?
Specifically I'm having problems with the slashdot rss feed.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-08-09  2:52   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-08-09  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>> I recently upgraded gnus, and now the rss feed from slashdot get new
>> copies everytime i update the group. Any hints?

> This problem remains. Is there anything I can do to help debug it?
> Specifically I'm having problems with the slashdot rss feed.

Just yesterday I decided to give gnus a try as an rss reader and
slashdot was one of my test cases.  I see the same behavior as above.
However, I don't see it with a couple other feeds.  I also took a look
at the changelogs and nnrss doesn't seem to have changed in some time.
Assuming it did work correctly once, I suspect that slashdot has made
some change that gnus is not prepared for.

Also, I also gave nnslashdot a try but that has the articles all in
html which I find painful as I avoid html mails in general and when I
do I filter through lynx which no longer seems to work properly on
cygwin.  Is there a better way to render html in XEmacs on cygwin?  I
tried w3m many moons ago but had trouble getting it to configure and
compile.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-08-09 12:43     ` Mark Plaksin
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2006-08-09 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

>> joakim@verona.se writes:
>>> I recently upgraded gnus, and now the rss feed from slashdot get new
>>> copies everytime i update the group. Any hints?
>
>> This problem remains. Is there anything I can do to help debug it?
>> Specifically I'm having problems with the slashdot rss feed.
>
> Just yesterday I decided to give gnus a try as an rss reader and
> slashdot was one of my test cases.  I see the same behavior as above.
> However, I don't see it with a couple other feeds.  I also took a look
> at the changelogs and nnrss doesn't seem to have changed in some time.
> Assuming it did work correctly once, I suspect that slashdot has made
> some change that gnus is not prepared for.

For me it happens in most of my nnrss groups.  Not all of them but almost
all of them.  So I think it's Gnus that changed and not all the RSS feeds.

I hope to have time to debug the problem in the next week or three.

* Re: problem with nnrss and slashdot
@ 2006-08-09 22:16     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2006-08-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, I also gave nnslashdot a try but that has the articles all in
> html which I find painful as I avoid html mails in general and when I
> do I filter through lynx which no longer seems to work properly on
> cygwin.  Is there a better way to render html in XEmacs on cygwin?  I
> tried w3m many moons ago but had trouble getting it to configure and
> compile.

Ignore that.  Stupid typo in an environment setting confused lynx.  I
can render html satisfactorily again.

--

@ 2006-08-10  6:42       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2006-08-10  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I was able to solve this problem localy for slashdot, after some
research.

There are several related threads on this:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63268

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/62613

Looking in nnrss-check-group, a message ID is sythesized out of an rss
article by means of printing the lisp representation to a string and
do a md5 on it. This md5 is used to determine if the article has
changed.

Slashdot includes tags like:

"( slash:department nil "development-has-to-come-from-somewhere") . "
"( slash:section nil "developers") . "
"( slash:comments nil "46") . "
"( slash:hit_parade nil "46,44,36,28,12,3,1") . "

The number of comments vary with each rss poll, which makes the
article appear new again.

I tried a local patch whitch filters away slash: tags before md5. This
works but isnt a general solution.

I think the best would be, given the reasoning in the threads above,
to allow both article-md5, and date-md5 methods, selectable on a feed
basis.

@ 2006-08-10 20:01         ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-08-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:42:51 +0200 joakim@verona.se wrote:

> I was able to solve this problem localy for slashdot, after some
> research.
>
> There are several related threads on this:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63268
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/62613

This reads as it should be enough to hash the date and the
URL (and maybe the description as well).

I think this would work for most if not all feeds.  Anyone
any objections?  I think with XML namespaces there can
arbitrarily tags within an <item>.  So i don't think it's a
good idea to filter out specific tags before hashing.

Another possibility might be to use all dc: and rss: tags
for hashing (but not sure though).

I can hack something up, but I'm not an RSS/XML expert.
Before wasting time on boring code i would like to hear if
it makes any sense.

David.